3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

straight axle swap 06 dakota trx4 faq's

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight axle swap 06 dakota trx4 faq's

Basically i want to know what you guys would do. I would like to straight axle my truck, but im not going to do any serious wheeling. simple trips up to lake tahoe...nothin serious. (pretty much a nice lookin, big street truck is what im lookin for.) I would like to see 37"s with 22 inch rims. could a dana 44 up front handle it? Im thinking 5.13's front and rear. (recommended by a local shop). I know i would have to change the rear as well...Or play it safe and save the extra money for Dana 60's all around. better safe than sorry? Alot of money that route just for a street truck... but it would be still worth it. haha

Last edited by sethgtrx4; 07-29-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

What I would do? Buy a 2500. You are looking at a phenominal amount of work for a mall crawler. The price of a Dakota and all the money you'd sink into it could buy a pretty decent used HD that will be safe and handle properly.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

it can be done but with our replacable front frames idk if you will be able to mount your front spring hangers. you will also probably have to go full hydro steering $$$ since the dakota uses a rack and pinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Honestly, I would love a 2500. But i bought a dakota for a reason! Small but full size at the same time. And im not about to put gas in another full size truck...Im not towing anything so i dont need a diesel. Besides sinking maybe 8 to 10g's in my truck would be alot cheaper than buying a completly new vehicle. And just to think on how NO ONE would have a dakota like mine. (in my area of course) the cheapest 2500 ive seen that I would want runs about 25K. The other issue is that has anybody checked out the resale value of our trucks?! not worth anything since the economy tanked. I only owe 5 grand on my dak. So these plans are just dreams for now, but I think it would be really cool when done. It seems like every year SAS is getting easier because shops are doing them more often. The shop that I would be going through in salinas ca, has already done a gen 2 dakota. (on 38's) awsome set up, and its the only one like it in town. Turbo_bird....yea your right i figured hydro steering would have to be in order. thanks for reading guys...

Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I'm never against wild customs. But you should crawl under your truck and check out the frame like Turbo said. Immediately forward of the lower control arm crossmember, the hexagonal frame inserts start and run up to the bumper assembly. They are *meant* to deform in a crash, so I wouldn't start welding spring shackles up to them. You might have to fab up a whole new frame section before you start.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, most of the 2nd gens can get away with leafs up front but I'm almost positive coils are needed. So you'd need to go with either a 3 or 4 link suspension. And as mentioned full hydro...not totally sure but in one of the jeep forums I'm on I heard full hydro isn't road legal.

If you are mall crawling a d44 should be ok. But know that if you ever take it offroad and take any decent climb with the wheel fully turned those ujoints will hopefully be the first to go...but that actually depends if you add a locker. If you leave the diff open you probably won't break it. I've wheeled my cj with the stock d30 open behind a built 360 and 38" ground hawgs. Plus, have you looked at the price of a junkyard d60...those run you $1k easy. Then you have to rebuild em.

I think 5.13s is a bit much for a mall crawler. You usually see that in a rock crawler or a 4 banger yota.

When I was thinking about doin the same. I considered either a set of ram or grand cherokee axles. Mostly for disc brakes all 'round. Ideal, would be if you found a wrecked power wagon!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Or Ford, or GM...by the time you get all this done, adapting some axles will be a minor thing.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Thanks for all the imput guys. Have any of you checked out a website called Boyceequipment.com? They refrubish old military equipment...including axles. range from stock gm 10 bolts to 2.5 ton rockwells. This is where I was getting my prices. Really good site.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can buy a new JK Rubi D44 axle from any chrysler dealership for around $1500 each. Those would be a good choice too. They have larger ujoints, high pinion, thick tube dia, and I think its 31 spline. Also, it comes with 4.10 gears and an electric locker. And of coarse disc front and rear

I know those run 37s with no immediate probs.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Originally Posted by studlyblueiz
I think you can buy a new JK Rubi D44 axle from any chrysler dealership for around $1500 each. Those would be a good choice too. They have larger ujoints, high pinion, thick tube dia, and I think its 31 spline. Also, it comes with 4.10 gears and an electric locker. And of coarse disc front and rear

I know those run 37s with no immediate probs.

Thats a pretty good idea. and a good deal....I was pricing out dana 44s without all the goodies and the prices were the same. I should ask a dealer...so if the the price is as good as u say it is.

Quick Reply: straight axle swap 06 dakota trx4 faq's