3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Still no fix...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with those 17" clad rims, verify that they are balancing the rims/tires w/ the cone inserted from the rear. if they try it from the front, it will only seat on the plastic (cladding) and not balance properly.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
07Dak

Thanks for all the input. I will check for the clips tomorrow. Goodyears are 265/65R18. I hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Make sure your rear brakes if you have the larges available stock ones are adjusted correctly.The size scips my mind now. The shoes are not adjusted like most, if you read the factory manual they are not adjusted as close to the drum as most rear shoes they require a certain clearenace. I don't remeber the figures but they are in the service manual that is available on this site. Another thing is the clips that retain the rear brake drums while on the assembly line. Some claim by removing them it cleared up the shaking!The goodyears are another big problem. You say you're at 17K well guess what they are at the point were thet will suck in the rain anyway. Spend the Money and get new tires. If you are low on cash many tire houses offer 90 days same as cash.I personnally have firestone Destination LE. I found were one of the most bang for the buck. A great all around hiway tire for the truck with 60K mileage warranty. Goos luck the dealers just don't know how to fix there vehicles very well anymore!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Dak
Thanks for all the input. I will check for the clips tomorrow. Goodyears are 265/65R18. I hope to get to the bottom of this soon.
I am running the same setup as you have, except I am a Club Cab

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite honestly if you can afford to without breaking the bank I would get rid of those goodyears either way. The Goodyear stockers are easily the worst tires I have ever run on a vehicle, and I'm counting the bald Michelins I had on my Trooper at one point.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Best of luck, I'm still living with mine. one of these days i'll get it back to the dealer. I have noticed if I throw mine in neutral while cruising at 45 - where my vibe is most noticeable - it goes away.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I gotta look into the clip issue...my truck will shudder like a wheel has thrown a weight between 53-60 MPH. It will come on, go away, come on again...if that's the fix I'm gonna be a happy guy.

Quick Reply: Still no fix...