3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Libtech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Flaps

How do you guys typically install your mud flaps?

The previous owner of my truck drilled holes and attached them with lag screews or metals screws one of the two. They ended up wearing out the bottom holes and now they are loose. One of them even wore out to the inside edge of the fender through the entire metal, so instead of a whole I have a slot...

I need to fix it, so I am thinking of taking out the screws that have worn out the holes and using a bolt, washer and nut to hold it in place. Anyone else use bolts and washer to hold there's on? I want to prevent the damaged metal from rusting so I think I will use some RV silicone and apply it around the worn metal holes to seal them up. Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

that's probably what i would do. Just use the bolt, washer, and nut to pinch it on there. the silicone will probably work too, but idk (hardly any rust here in phoenix).

Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The factory flaps are nice looking even the Mopar matching rear are a nice look but as far as spatter they not much good. Toyota had the best factory flaps on the Tacoma that had the upper hard plastic at the fender and flexible flaps well below the fender line. I believe you can get third party flaps like them for our trucks.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use nylon lock nuts. Make sure you clear all the rust, then seal them up with silicon/undercoating/bedliner coating. I might even apply to both sides immediately before re-installation to make sure the seal is tight.

On a side note. Autozone sells a nice set of black flaps. Size #7 I think for $20. Anyone have any experiance with these? I just spent $400 on re-beautifing my truck....ie removing and refinishing all of the rust on the rear bumper, and under the rear quarter panel where the previous idiot owner decided to put a jack. Now that it is back to perfect, Id like to get some flaps to prevent rust from re-occuring. Catch 22. Now that I spent $400, I only have $20 for mudflaps.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by graythang
The factory flaps are nice looking even the Mopar matching rear are a nice look but as far as spatter they not much good. Toyota had the best factory flaps on the Tacoma that had the upper hard plastic at the fender and flexible flaps well below the fender line. I believe you can get third party flaps like them for our trucks.
X2 I agree with graything, they look nice and they catch a majority of the stuff but they aren't perfect flaps. I have been happy with em and they look sharp

Heres mine with screws and silicone

IMGP5758.jpg

IMGP5762.jpg

You could use stainless steel fasteners also

Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by graythang
The factory flaps are nice looking even the Mopar
matching rear are a nice look but as far as spatter they not much good.
Toyota had the best factory flaps on the Tacoma that had the upper hard plastic
at the fender and flexible flaps well below the fender line.
I believe you can get third party flaps like them for our trucks.
I went to a local truck parts store for rear flaps and found out they made these for the fronts.
Husky

FRONT MUD GUARD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Last edited by JAB02LHS; 09-10-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps