3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Waxing and Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Libtech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing and Clay bar

Hi Guys, I guess this applies to both my hemi and my car, but I am looking to do a wax job/ clay bar on both.

Few questions:

1.) The clay bar helps remove a lot of crude from the surface that a wash doesnt correct? Anyone have tips on how to use one? Was thinking of doing it to both vehicles this weekend.

2.) Wax, I don't wax that often but Id like to do a nice wax job on both vehicles before winter hits here. Whats a good wax that gives a nice shine and will last a decently long time? Or do they max such a product that can last 6 month of wear and tear?

3.) Is there such thing as a "cut" wax that will get rid of small scratches in pain etc? I have an 05 Hemi QC 1500 that I bought used and it has a few small scratches in the paint surface id like to buff out somehow.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could to a light wetsand and polish on the hemi to get rid of the light scratches

Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

In spite of handwashing my Dak' and using the best chamois I can get I still get those fine minute scratches. I also use the soft detailing towels from Target to help dry my truck. Some time back I purchased the, "Kit" "Scratch Out" stuff. I hand washed the truck and dried it. I then applied the, scratch out, to the hood, (per instructions) and then wiped of the glaze. The glaze came of rather easy. And I must say almost all the fine scratches were gone. Then I hit it with the, "Ice" spray wax and she looked just like new. I had been thinking about a soft rubbing compound but, glad I tried this first.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 PM
ND Dakota

I have had good luck with NuFinish also. The best chamois I have used is "the absorber" which you can get a any K-Mart or I believe Wal-Mart.

They come in a plastic tube and you store them wet. They really do a great job.

I would be REALLY careful using any rubbing compound as you will change the color really quick!!! Once you go to far it's to late to turn back.

Just my two cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My best friend and I spent 3 years researching some of the "best" detail products available to the public vs. availability and cost considerations. Adam has a 96' mystic cobra, so this is why we were a little ****.

After the years of testing on his car and mine, we discovered (in our opinion) the "best" detail products for the average person (who does not buy in bulk, yet always buys detail supplies for his own stock).

For your trucks, here is the process I would recommend:

Mother's Clay Bar: New kit that comes with two bars

Meguire's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover:

Meguire's Mirror Glaze Show Room Shine:

Meguire's Mirror Glaze Paint Sealant:

Meguire's Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax:

Other items you will want to "correctly" do the job are:

Meguire's Foam applicator pads: (a plethora)

Any good quality microfiber clothes (not polishing cloths)

Use the applicator pads to apply the product, and the microfibers to remove the product.

Quick Reply: Waxing and Clay bar