3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Corks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
The factory Goodyears were utter garbage, I don't even advise running those if you never see snow or rain, they will still suck.
What kind of Goodyear's came from the factory? Not sure if mine are from the factory and haven't been replaced or were replaced with more Goodyear's

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrangler SR-A 's are the univerally hated OEM tires. Only thing they're good for is lots of street miles. Terrible wet traction and nonexistent snow traction.

I live in the Lake Effect bullseye of upstate NY, and this winter I'm getting studded snowtires. I'm also building a box to sit on the wheel humps, to contain a few hundred pounds of sandbags.

My open diff 2WD has suprised me in some situations. I've been blasting through 8-10" of fresh powder without much problem. But then I'll struggle to get through an uphill intersection when the light turns green. Studs should eliminate that.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 winter tires and a limited slip is all you need.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I agree. However from what I have read recently the newest crop of studless winter tires actually outperforms the studded tires in all situations. I'm not sure if this is actually true or not but my lady has the blizzak studless tires on her truck and they definitely had better traction on ice than my exploder did with my studded winters.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving