3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Power steering and overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 AM
zanderwel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power steering and overheating issue

I'm driving a 2006 dakota 3.7L V6. Issues, issues, issues!

Ok... First the power steering started to act up a little bit, nothing too serious I thought. Then the Battery light started to come on. After doing some research I found that the tensioner was bad (my alternator wasn't charging the battery and the truck was over heating, which I thought had somethign to do with the water pump.. all of this would lead to belt tension issues.). So I had the tensioner replaced. The power steering is still acting up, in fact it's gotten much worse! I now seem to have a power steering fluid leak coming from god knows where! All I can tell is that the fluid is getting onto the belt, which just spews it all over the place under the hood. I'm in no position to spend much money on repairs right now. Any ideas on what might be going on here that I may be able to fix myself for relatively low cost?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF zanderwel! Kinda OT, but do you have pictures of your truck?

Anyways, how many miles are on your dak? That would help us out with the overheating issues. As for the oil leaking, it almost sounds like your rack and pinion is shot. This is why the steering would be difficult or weird, and the oil leakage. One of the others who have had a similiar problem like this should chime in soon! Good luck!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 AM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some damage to my power steering from off road use. I had bent my rack and pinion, and apparently bouncing around causes some of the fluid to leak out, and it does get everywhere. I had to replace my rack and pinion, power steering pump, and lines. That was under warranty...BUT nonetheless I found this thread from searching...because today after leaving the campsite...my power stering issues have returned, almost 2 years later. I am now unable to steer unless I hit the gas. I think there might be low fluid levels because when I came home..let it sit for a couple minutes, checked and the fluid is right at the low line. I would take it to a mechanic so that they can confirm that it's the rack and pinion or just the pump. That's what i'm doing monday...the steering system on these trucks I found is built like crap...might as well have stuck some toothpicks together with a steering wheel....

Quick Reply: Power steering and overheating issue