3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Frozen Windshield Washer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
alltoys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Windshield Washer

Every winter my window washer freezes off no matter what I do to it. Has anyone had this problem with theirs I have an 05 Dakota and for some reason it freezes off if there is a permanent fix anyone has come up with can you let me know thank you.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy the cheap 99¢ blue crap.
Get the yellow de-icer about 4/5 dollars a gallon good to -40°
Since I switched in all my vehicles no more frozen lines.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM
spshultz
Professional

Originally Posted by JAB02LHS
Don't buy the cheap 99¢ blue crap.
Get the yellow de-icer about 4/5 dollars a gallon good to -40°
Since I switched in all my vehicles no more frozen lines.
Same here. The cheap blue stuff would freeze up easier in the nozzles. But once I switched over to the more expensive deicer fluid I haven't had a problem.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM
alltoys

For some reason it always freezes by the window. The only fix that I can come up with is remove the wiper arms, (which I broke one last year $80 replacement cost), remove the outer panel, pull off the lines from the window sprayers. Then force methanol through the lines.

I run my truck in the winter 18 hours a day as I am a Emergency Services Operator. When it is cold and nasty out I could work around the clock there is so much need for my service. Now that it has warmed up I have to install a new light bar and if I have time fix my window washer problem.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah its the fluid type I am a Rain X Fan

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

I find the Rain-X De-icer fluid works well. I'm guessing you live in a very cold climate, check the ratings on the bottles and go for one rated well into the negatives. I had my lines freeze up earlier this winter, had bought some fluid without thinking about it, well apparently the gas stations here in Jersey sell the stuff without antifreeze in the summer (back home they don't sell anything that's not rated below 0). When it warmed up enough to work I kept running the washers till most of the fluid was gone (make sure to give the pump breaks to cool down, I did this over the time driving to work and back, you don't want to overwork the pump). Once I got back I picked up some de-icer fluid and filled up with that then ran enough through to be sure I flushed the colored water crap out of the lines.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:00 AM
alltoys

Well today I got my windshield washer lines thawed out. First I used a 50,000BTU heater ran it for an hour but lines were still froze. My next plan was remove the windshield wiper blade arms on both sides, pull the rubber washer lines blow them out. I removed the lines from the pump and nozzles loaded the line from the bottom of the truck near the pump. forced straight methanol into the line then pumped air at 125psi. Took three tries before the methanol melted the ice and the remaining ice shot out of the hoses like a cannon shot. Forced some methanol into the nozzles got them working as well.

Put it all back together then installed a mix of 25% methanol and 75% -45 windshield fluid. Hopefully that will remedy my problem.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
wobly
Amateur

When I bought my '06 Dakota in Jan '07, the previous owner thinned the washer fluid with water, which froze solid in Colorado winter. After trying many things, I finally broke down and put a bottle of HEET into the reservior. That got the fluid (formerly ice) to a point I could put some high quality washer fluid and purge the crappy stuff out. Since then, I have run a mix of Rain-X and -25 fluid year round.

For those that ask why I mix the two, I can't stand the heavy coating of the Rain-X and cutting it with the -25 blue fluid tends to eliminate the heavy coating while giving the water resistance of the Rain-X.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 AM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

Originally Posted by alltoys
Put it all back together then installed a mix of 25% methanol and 75% -45 windshield fluid. Hopefully that will remedy my problem.
MSDS Number 2016 (Revised April 1, 2001)
DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Waste must be disposed of in accordance with federal, state, and local environmental
control regulations. Waste methanol in concentrations equal to or greater than 24 % by
weight meets the definition of an ignitable hazardous waste. Product grade methanol, when
disposed, is a listed hazardous waste.
http://www.methanol.org/pdf/MethanolMSDS.pdf

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-15-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote

Quick Reply: Frozen Windshield Washer