3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

More ground clearance

Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
05dakotaguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More ground clearance

Hey everyone,

I'm a rookie to this board as well as to the world of trucks. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I recently bought an 05 quad cab and I had a front end leveling kit installed. It gave me about 2" more of ground. I do not want to get a full body lift but I was wondering if I could get larger tires on my current rims and if that would increase my clearance. Most sites I've been on just give me the standard equipment (265 tire size). If it is possible, any web sites I can check out that will give me tire sizes and an idea of how much ground clearance I can get?????? Help me out.

Where can I get some good pricing on nerf bars and grill guards.

Any direction is appreciated.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:25 AM
flyrodder
Amateur
Default RE: More ground clearance

It's not exact but tires sizes are roughly this;
245=30 inch height, 255=31, 265=32
Most recommend not going more than one size above factory because the extra circumference travel on the pavement will rob you of power and change your speedometer readings because of the axel gearing.
When increasing tire size you also need to consider the available space inside the wheel well. The rears aren't so much an issue, but turning the fronts often hits in places.
Another important aspect of it, if your looking for increased ride height, is that for every inch you increase tire size, you only gain 1/2 inch of clearance.
Body lifts are best if kept in the 2 to 3 inch range. For real height, lift the suspension.
So if height is your goal, a lift kit is your best option.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Narcisse91

ORIGINAL: flyrodder

It's not exact but tires sizes are roughly this;
245=30 inch height, 255=31, 265=32
I wouldn't generalize it like that, since tread width alone can't be used to determine tire diameter.

For example, 265-65-16s would be 29.5", by my calculation.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:14 PM
05dakotaguy

Thanks for the help. I had the suspension leveled which gave me about 2" on the front end but I can't seem to locate any suspension lifts for the 05 dakota. Does anyone know if they exist at this point??????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More ground clearance