3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

To paint or not to paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 AM
utahdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
I like the silver, black rims always look dirty brake dusty to me (even if they are spotless).
But it would match your bull bar!

I am in Utah county Saratoga Springs, where are u?

LB
Oh nice, ogden area for me!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM
utahdakota
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
The bumper is an easy fix, just have to loosen and tighten a couple bolts.
I was actually looking into fixing that gap on sunday when i washed her, she just kept getting lower all winter. Haha. But I couldnt find the bolts though Where abouts are they?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM
rengnath
Champion

Originally Posted by utahdakota
I was actually looking into fixing that gap on sunday when i washed her, she just kept getting lower all winter. Haha. But I couldnt find the bolts though Where abouts are they?
There are screws in both wheel wells facing the tires (4 each I think), and screws on the top of the bumper that you will see when you open the hood facing the sky(3 or 4). There are also 2 clips on the underside of the bumper, right around the licence plate area facing the ground. You will need a flathead, and just pry them out. Your bumper will pull straight off then. You will need to flex it a little bit on the sides to get it over the bumper reinforcement, but just do it gently and you shouldnt cause any damage to the bumper.

THEN, this is the important part. Underneath the bumper, there is going to be an actual metal bumper that is attached to the 2 frame members, and then a big plastic bumper reinforcement. Dont touch any bolts with the metal bumper, as if thats bent then I dont think you will be able to fix it. You will be able to see all the bolts holding on the bumper reinforcement. Take all those bolts, and loosen them up. Then, what I did is I took my hydrolic jack, and jacked up the bumper on the side that was crooked up to be even with the other side. I used a small ruler to measure the distance from the top of the bumper renforcement to the headlamp on each side. Once it is even, take all those bolts and tighten them. Dont be shy, I put all I had in to mine so that bumper would never move again. Then, remove your jack and recheck the measurments to be sure the bumper is still even. I had to redo mine once, as the bumper sunk down a little bit on the one side again. You will need the jack though, as when I jacked up mine it actually lifted the front of the truck a little bit, so it does take a lot of force. Depending on how each side looks, you might need 2 jacks. But after the plastic renforcment is straight, put the cover back on and that should be straight as well.
Sorry for such a long explanation. Once you get the bumper cover off, it is all self explanatory. You wont need to remove anything but the bumper cover, the fog lights can stay right where they are. Just remember that if your bumper renforcement is off, your bumper will be so take your time and adjust it properly. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
utahdakota
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
There are screws in both wheel wells facing the tires (4 each I think), and screws on the top of the bumper that you will see when you open the hood facing the sky(3 or 4). There are also 2 clips on the underside of the bumper, right around the licence plate area facing the ground. You will need a flathead, and just pry them out. Your bumper will pull straight off then. You will need to flex it a little bit on the sides to get it over the bumper reinforcement, but just do it gently and you shouldnt cause any damage to the bumper.

THEN, this is the important part. Underneath the bumper, there is going to be an actual metal bumper that is attached to the 2 frame members, and then a big plastic bumper reinforcement. Dont touch any bolts with the metal bumper, as if thats bent then I dont think you will be able to fix it. You will be able to see all the bolts holding on the bumper reinforcement. Take all those bolts, and loosen them up. Then, what I did is I took my hydrolic jack, and jacked up the bumper on the side that was crooked up to be even with the other side. I used a small ruler to measure the distance from the top of the bumper renforcement to the headlamp on each side. Once it is even, take all those bolts and tighten them. Dont be shy, I put all I had in to mine so that bumper would never move again. Then, remove your jack and recheck the measurments to be sure the bumper is still even. I had to redo mine once, as the bumper sunk down a little bit on the one side again. You will need the jack though, as when I jacked up mine it actually lifted the front of the truck a little bit, so it does take a lot of force. Depending on how each side looks, you might need 2 jacks. But after the plastic renforcment is straight, put the cover back on and that should be straight as well.
Sorry for such a long explanation. Once you get the bumper cover off, it is all self explanatory. You wont need to remove anything but the bumper cover, the fog lights can stay right where they are. Just remember that if your bumper renforcement is off, your bumper will be so take your time and adjust it properly. Good luck!
Thanks a ton!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

i like the black silver look that what i think i might do with my winter rims to make em look a little nicer

Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

soooo clearly my paint work on here sucks just give me a gun or a can but my roommates jeep has similar rims so i came up with this. hope this helps DSC03435-1.jpg?t=1269127554
leave the lip and the raised areas chrome and paint the spokes and indents just my two cents

Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you must paint them, I like the first smoked (gunmetal)
looked

Quick Reply: To paint or not to paint