3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Axle play

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle play

I've had an annoying clunk in my rear suspension for quite a while now. It only happens at low speeds when the suspension flexes or the weight of the truck shifts (speed bumps, etc...) I am able to reproduce the same noise the pushing the truck side to side by grabbing onto the bedside and pushing and pulling. It was definately in the rear suspension somewhere and I suspected the axle itself was the problem.

I jacked the truck up today and removed the right rear wheel and sure enough, I can move the axle(studs/drum, etc..) back and forth and there is play there, and this same noise can be heard.

I don't think this is normal, especially for a truck with 37k miles on it. Has anyone else had/have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? I'm out of factory warranty and but should be covered under my extended warranty with this issue. I am thinking of just taking it into the dealership and seeing what they want to do with it. It's really annoying when this thing clunks like it does.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the two U-bolts connecting the axle to the leaf spring, and look at the bushings in the leaf spring eye on both sides of the leaf spring for that side. There isn't much involved in a rear solid axle suspension. There are only a few areas that can cause play to the actual axle housing.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
thecause17
Veteran

It's not the housing that moves, it's the internal shaft and what's connected to it, such as the the drum, etc... For example, when I jacked it up and the wheel was still attached, I could move the wheel back and forth. The rest of the axle was stationary...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

I think some people have been having problems with the C clips that retain the axle shafts.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Should there be any play at all here? I checked the other side today and it's the same, so now I'm not sure if this is normal or not, and that maybe the problem is something else.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not heard of issues myself, but things that can cause what you are talking about are C-clips/wheel bearings/ or the bolts that hold the drum on might have walked out and become loose.

As far as i know there should be no play in the axle. Even if its not covered under the power train warranty (which it sounds like it should be) since your 36,000 just went over you might be able to talk to them and deal for a one time only fix. (you are gonna have to be really nice with the service manager). Dodge should give you a free look over of the rear axle and tell you what is wrong.

Last edited by Eimer123; 03-31-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 AM
thecause17
Veteran

I'll be covered under my extended warranty. I purchased additional bumper to bumper coverage when I bought the truck.

I checked all of the hardware on the suspension and found nothing loose. Looks like I'll be making an appointment with the dealer.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 AM
whistle pig
Rookie

Totally normal. Take it from an old Jeep guy. Changed lots of axles, and with C-clips.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Normal, so yours does it too?

What's not normal is the kind of noises the suspension makes. If this is normal for Chrysler products then they have some things to work on. My jeeps never did this, and my wife's doesn't now. My old '97 Grand Cherokee had 165k miles on it and didn't have so much as a squeak...so I hardly thing it's "totally normal" The other 4 jeeps in my family don't do it either...

Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
whistle pig
Rookie

Ok, take it easy. I was refering to the slight in and out axle shaft play. That is normal. when you push and pull the axle, the c-clip is the resistance your feeling. Open your pumpkin up and remove the c-clip and you can pull the shaft right out, tire still on and everything! For hard core off roading it's not a good thing. If you break the axle, with C-clips you cant drive it off the trail, your whole tire will fall off. As for the noises the rear end is making. How's your rear u-joints? Definate "clunking noise" sound. And would sound similar to the push pull on the axles. Everything tight? Broken leaf spring? Shocks? Still on the factory shocks? They could be junk already. With 21k on my Dak when I bought it, both front struts and 1 rear shock was blown. Also, it might just be the truck. I'v got monroe sensa tracks all the way around and It still hops and bounces all over the place when I hit rough roads. Especially the rear end. And last, make sure your spare tire is tight. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Axle play