3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking at getting a camper/toyhauler

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a camper/toyhauler

Ok...I obviously have a dakota so i am limited in terms of what I can get. Also, this thing needs to be below my fenceline of just about 6 foot.

I want to have enough room for the wife and our new addition, and two large dogs but don't want to be struggling up the mountains throughout northern arizona.

I think i want to go with a popup toyhauler because i like the idea of having my toys seperate from my living quarters. Keep in mind this will be my first camper purchase so let me know what i will and wont like about my decisions!

I am currently considering this one (starcraft 36rt) (found here: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/1722279364.html)

The price seems very reasonable and it seems to have enough room for two quads ( i only have one right now) and a small family.

its GVWR is 8,000lbs which is over what i should be towing...but its dry weight is 3,500lbs and GVW is only 3,900lbs. I figure with two quads (~900lbs) two dogs (~110 lbs), my wife and I (330 lbs), baby (~20-80 lbs), and our gear (~300 lbs)...

i would be at 5,620 lbs which is below my tow rating and the GVWR of the truck (6,010 lbs).

first i want to make sure that what i am looking at is a decent camper (model wise) and i wont be dissapointed with a ton of hidden costs or lack of features.

second i want to make sure i can tow the dang thing without watching my truck roll backwards up a hill and my temp gauge climbing through the roof!

Thx for all your help fellow family camping go'ers!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
mmullengs
Amateur
Smile Tow Happy!!!

Just to give you a little idea as to what I tow may give you an idea as to what you can do. One of the things that I found that was necessary for towing of my Pop up and my ATV (Honda Rincon) was to get a set of rear suspension airbags (super great investment even for daily driving). The Pop up that I pull is a Fleetwood Williamsburg with a dry weight of 3500. The other item that I purchased that I found to be of great value is a Tekonsha Brake Controller – 90195 this one has a good read out of what is going on with the electric brakes on the trailer any way my two cents

Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

thx! i'll check out that brake controller! what's the weight of your trailer when you have it loaded down with liquids, your ATV, and people? i assume the power is okay only because you didn't mention anything about it being scary going up a hill. I've got the 4.7HO w/ 3.92 gears so i'm about as good as I can be for towing from the factory.

How is the control going around curves and whatnot?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Don't forget to think about an equalizer bar to level the truck and the trailer out. They are pricey but, well worth the money. It will help tremendously if the trailer will be very tongue heavy. I wouldn't be afraid of towing it. As in all things common sense needs to prevail when towing. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
mmullengs
Amateur

What I am driving is a 2007 Dakota club cab 4.7 HO (load the quad in to the back the quad is about 850) The camper is about 4100 loaded (water, propane, gas, generator, chairs, table, ect……) so I am figuring that with people and all the other crap I am about 5300lb. I live in Utah and there is nothing but mountains and hills to negotiate. The good old Dakota kicks *** and moves up the mountains with little problem. The one thing that I do ensure to do when carrying the big load is to fill with the 95 octane so I can get the full power curve.
I can’t over state this enough our suspension SUCKS the air bags make a huge difference I will never try to tow the heavy load without the ability to level the truck with the air bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The next addition will be to ad a decent trans cooler.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
pojv

I will second the air bags, as I put my quad in the bed, and tow a Starcraft 3612(in AZ), which is the same trailer you are looking at without the loading rack in the front. My 05 only has 3.55 gears, 4.7 non HO and going up and down 77 & 70 ,you know that the trailer is there.
You will also need a W/D hitch setup as you tongue weight will be very high.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1st trip 1 4 320.jpg (14.6 KB, 16 views)