3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

go figure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Moneyman19
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go figure

Hey guys well today i change my oil again (every 3,000) i noticed the oil was alittle on the dark side and was a bit smelly my noise isnt the best but maybe gas or a sweet smell to it. after doing everything put new filter on and go to put oil in and notice sum orange a little yellow on the oil cap. i pulled the thing out the oil filler and saw more of it but more yellowish. to me i think i have a head gasket leaking or bout to go. has anyone done theirs yet? if so how much u looking at? i look at rockauto.com but wasn't sure there got different ones up there. i do not have the high output. if anyone has let the dealer do it how much was that? After this my plans for summer is get a job ,new shocks, and a sub for my system thats all it needs.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that this was a common issue with older chrysler engines, resulting in engine sludge failure if not taken care of in a timely manner.

HOWEVER, are you SURE what you are looking at is coolant in your oil? It is not uncommon to see a bronze colored build up on the bottom of an oil cap. It doesn't necessarily mean you have an issue. Maybe have the oil tested for $25 would be worth the small cost.

Odds are, you are just seeing condensation on the filler cap. The majority of vehicles do this. Some argue short trips make it worse, but I found that it can happen in any situation. My Dakota has this on the cap, and so does my Saturn SL2, for years.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 05-19-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get a good engine flush for the oil and flush it, thats all it needs, my dakota has had that issue before and a good flushing cures the problem

Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Used oil will smell somewhat gassy, its normal. Do you have a hint of "steam" coming out the exhaust? If its getting in the oil then its getting in else where. Sounds like you are over reacting a little man... just relax. I agree with everything Monkey siad. He hit it right on!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

ya i agree with monkey 2 just i don't know why shes eating up the dex coolant. maybe another 5 days i might have to buy another bottle...

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Moneyman19
Captain

sorry to double post on myself but tonight i was talking to a friend of mine and told him how its been eating up the coolant he had the same problem in his chevy and it go so bad they had to replace the engine. he agrees that it could be a head gasket leak since only number 6 in missfiring because his chevy had a intake gasket leak and was having multiple missfiring. so one day im going to take a rife to the dealershup to let them take a look.

Quick Reply: go figure