3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08 dakota hid issues !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
kernalz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 dakota hid issues !!!!

So i installed h13 hid kit in my dakota. I wired them up as the instructions said and had the common flickering problem. So i rewired them so they are no longer use the stock headlight wiring plugs. The headlights worked lo beam but when you in d theres a loud humming noise from the left fender.Also when you put the hi beams on the humming noise starts again. If i truck the lights on it no longer humms in drive. How do i make the loud humming vibrating stop? I looked for fuses and but cant find anything. This is also a canadian truck.Help Help Help

Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the humming is the trucks relay protecting the truck side of things.
Since the hids are trying to draw power from the daytime running lights / Highbeam wire, and not getting enough current (I believe) which is why the truck relay is humming, its protecting the truck and not letting the needed power go to the Hids as they need more than the daytime running lights are normally given from the truck. which is what causes the flickering.

mine also does this, but only if I have the lights switch in the off position when I put the truck in drive.
Dodge does sell a fix for this, its another set of relays that need to be wired in along witht the hids to fix the issues we are both having. I believe its around $30 for the relays from dodge.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:50 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Daytime running lights work by pulse-width. Dimming by more off width of pulse. The HID need to be seporate of the DRL lights as on say BMWs Lexus and so-on. No pulse circuit works with HID thay don't dim the same or at all.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star

You need to run a relay kit with the 3rd gen dakota

Quick Reply: 08 dakota hid issues !!!!