3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Squealing noise while turning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 AM
tardster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing noise while turning?

Hello everyone, I'm new here in this forum. I have a 05 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 with the V6 in her. She's been a great truck and I noticed when I first got it I could hear a sqeal every once in awhile. Here lately I've been hearing this real bad squealing when I make a left turn. I did a search before I posted this and all of the results were for trucks that have leveling kits on them, my truck is stock except for the tires (Firestone A/T 265/70 16's) which I had replaced when I bought it 2 years ago. At first when I applied the brakes it would stop but now it continues no matter what. I thought maybe it was the wheel bearings/hub but after replacing those today I still have the squeal. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance...

Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 3rd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 AM
tardster

Thank You

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
mightypizu
Professional
Default I noticed something similar too

'05 Dak Quad V8

It's not all the time and only when I make a hard turn (as if pulling slowly into my driveway). Sounds like it's coming from the rear. It's more like a scraping (metal on metal) than a squeak. I suspect it could be time to change the rear drums but not sure why these would make a noise when turning. It's different than a brake squeak as if it was time to change them (I get that too).

Last edited by mightypizu; 06-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tardster
Hello everyone, I'm new here in this forum. I have a 05 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 with the V6 in her. She's been a great truck and I noticed when I first got it I could hear a sqeal every once in awhile. Here lately I've been hearing this real bad squealing when I make a left turn. I did a search before I posted this and all of the results were for trucks that have leveling kits on them, my truck is stock except for the tires (Firestone A/T 265/70 16's) which I had replaced when I bought it 2 years ago. At first when I applied the brakes it would stop but now it continues no matter what. I thought maybe it was the wheel bearings/hub but after replacing those today I still have the squeal. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance...
sounds like you might have a dry ball joint in the steering knuckle... does it do it only when the truck is moving? does it do it only when moving the steering wheel?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 AM
tardster

No it only squeals when the truck is in gear, I havent heard it when I back up.

Quick Reply: Squealing noise while turning?