3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Gas Tank Fuel Load question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that just shows that when the DTE thing says 0, we have about 1.76 gallons left in our tanks. That equates to 29 miles at 16.5 mpg (what I get out of my 4.7ho).

The light comes on before that DTE gets close to zero though! That light comes on around what? 20miles? 30 miles?

Originally Posted by NJJer
No gauge is 100%, they are only estimates.

Page 120 of the '05 Owners Manual.

"When Distance To Empty = 0, the fuel gauge pointer will
initially be on the red "E" marker. At this point (fuel
gauge pointer on the "e" marker) there is reserve
fuel capacity, which corresponds to approximately 8% of
tank volume. This reserve capacity was put into place to
prevent the likelihood of customers running out of fuel
when operating at maximum load conditions in areas
where there aren't many gas stations."

Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
mountainmike

Just a heads up, running around on less than a quarter tank is a good way to kill your intank fuel pump. It uses the gasoline in the tank as a cooling agent and a lubricant. On an empty tank its getting neither. For comparisons sake I fill up at a quarter tank and its takes 60 liters of fuel. That is usually at about the 500 km mark. 08 4.7 btw.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by popsnbeer
So that just shows that when the DTE thing says 0, we have about 1.76 gallons left in our tanks. That equates to 29 miles at 16.5 mpg (what I get out of my 4.7ho).

The light comes on before that DTE gets close to zero though! That light comes on around what? 20miles? 30 miles?
My light comes on with maybe 75 miles or so on the DTE.

How often you rest everything will affect just when it comes on also. I reset mine every time I fill up.

Also, yes the fuel does cool the pump, but unless it is some crazy design, it is also sitting in a "mini-cell" or some baffles. This is to prevent fuel slosh and a lean condition. So you would have to run it about dry before it becomes exposed.

One last thing, tank volume varies by vehicle. I have run mine down and put in over 24 gallons before. Just how much is this supposed to hold? Guess I got lucky and mine has a short filler tube allowing the extra capacity.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Fuel Load question