3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rats!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be buried in the wiring harness?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Bugz2008
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
thats what i was thinking, but i have the body lift with a very clear view of the top of the tank, and i searched the frame rails, and still cand find them, i have fuel supply and return lines, rear brake line and a wiring harness, seems to be all there is going towards the rear...

I think there is actually a sensor inside the tank that monitors vaccum created by the fuel pump, when your gas cap isn't sealed right it won't create that vaccum.

I doubt the rat chewed through a fuel line or return line, unless you are seeing gasoline leaking under the truck while it is running. Rats are generally attracted to tubular shapes.. it could be that he has chewed on the hose running from the gas cap to the tank in hopes of finding a nice home...and didn't like the fumes when he bit through. That hose is probably like a radiator type hose...if he just bit through and didn't leave a hole then it would be hard to find...maybe fill the truck to the rim so that the hose is full and see if its leaking anywhere?

as for the heater fan... the fresh air inlet is on the right side up by the windsheild...where the grill is by the windsheild wipers, but its covered by a grill...with small squares, doubt a rat has been in there unless you have a hole in that grill. There may also by a hole there somewhere under all of that heat protection on the fire wall ..but I doubt it, that would allow air from the engine compartment to get sucked into your vents. I am thinking that is probably more along the lines of a little stick falling off a tree...sliding down the windsheild , through the grill and into the fresh air inlet... or one of those little helicopter seeds..leaf stems..something along those lines. Just happens it did it around the same time you found a rat.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

I am having the same gascAp issue haven't found the problem yet but I know there is some lines directly on top of the fuel tank on the passenger side closer towards the front of the box maybe a little further upon the quad cab

Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
keithhud
Professional

Here's my 2 cents. Have you checked all the sensor wires? Are they tight and snug? Chasing a Rat around the engine compartment might have knocked or pulled a connector or connector wire loose.

How is the engine idling? Usually with a vaccum leak the RPM's will fluctuate. You can spay canned air or WD40 on the vaccum hoses and see if the RPM's rise and that will usually tell you if you have a vaccum leak.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default update

well.... here is what i have come up with

what i thought was a fuel return line is actually the vacuum line, and there is no fuel return, the vacuum line goes to the solenoid/sensor, or whatever it is, on the top right side of the brake booster, i pressured the tank through the vac line and could not find any sort of leak, then i pluged the sensor completely on the tank side and it still through the gas cap code, so i'm guessing it must be the sensor going bad, so depending on the price of the part, it may be making its first trip to the stealership

crap!... just looked at parts and turns out there is a vapor canister, with a leak detition pump mounted on it, so now i need to find that damn thing and check it out...

and found out another annoying issue this morning, when the CEL sets, it kills the remote start

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 11-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 AM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

Where did you find the canister

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Racinartist
All Star

As I was reading through the posts, my first thought was, why not just take it to the dealer and let them cope with the issues? You're not out of warranty yet, are you?

And if it were me, and you take it to them, I wouldn't say ANYthing about no steeenking rat either.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by canadian dakota
Where did you find the canister
i saw it on a mopar parts site, and talked to a service manager, he said its near the fuel tank, but i havent had a chance to look yet, work has been very busy, its harvest time, so the poor dak has been parked at the shop for a few days while i have to cruise the service truck around

Originally Posted by Racinartist
As I was reading through the posts, my first thought was, why not just take it to the dealer and let them cope with the issues? You're not out of warranty yet, are you?

And if it were me, and you take it to them, I wouldn't say ANYthing about no steeenking rat either.
yes it is under warrenty still, the only problem is, i work 40 miles out side of town for a minimum of 11 hrs a day, and lately, 7 days a week. so getting to the stealership is a little out of reach, plus i'm afraid they will spend countless hours finding the problem, see that it was something that a rat caused, and tell me it's not covered under warrenty and had me an outragious bill

Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Racinartist
All Star

See, I guess that's where I fail to think like a 'normal' person. I kinda have an in with my service rep at the dealership I deal with and he does his best to take care of me even with 'questionable' warranty issues or things Chrysler may technically say they don't cover. He even got Chrysler higher-ups involved with an issue a few years ago to keep me happy (and that's hard to do...just ask my exes, haha). Unfortunately, mine is almost an hour drive for me too, so I tend not to go as often as I used to for any little problem. When I do though, they slap me in a p.o.s rental and Greg does everything he can to make sure when I come back my sh*t is right. He knows I'll be back if it's not.

Glad to hear the rat met it's maker though. Haha

Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

OK... problem solved????

well, was to my wits end with the gas cap light, i was down to one last option, before sending her to the dealer, unhooking the battery, but as i went to start up, to take to the shop, the battery was dead for some unknown reason, not completly, just wouldnt crank,

jump started very easy, and now, no gas cap light... so maby that is the trick for that stupid light (unhooking the battery) i just hope i missed something or left something on to kill the battery and i dont have some other issue, but it did start this morning...

Quick Reply: Rats!!!!