3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dimpled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by blown287
This spring I plan on switching to cross drilled/slotted rotors
careful with cross-drilled, I heard they crack easy. but back to one of my questions: can you turn slotted/dimpled rotors? seems like the slots/dimples would wreak havoc on a lathe bit.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do...

I had one tech/manager hate me, for getting him to cut one of my crossdrilled rotors, it ate 3 bits.

Rear disc would be a much more effective upgrade than any drilling/grooving/hacking of a front rotor.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I agree that solid rotors are probably the safe and best choice for the type of driving I do, but heck, I figured for getting them at less than half price, i might as well try them. Or just invest that in new solid rotors/upgraded pads. Mostly I would want them for the wow factor.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

You me the " " factor?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

is that a "D'OH" as in Homer Simpson???? lol

Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
nanohead
Professional

Personally, I've had only bad luck with aftermarket custom rotors, whether they are cross drilled, slotted, dimpled or in the shape of a klondike bar!

They warp quickly, and are generally made from substandard blanks (especially the cheapos). I bought them 5 times in the past 7 years (they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results!!!) and have now sworn off them in favor of good old stock rotors. I think they are more of a fashion statement at this point than a performance improvement. I just replaced the fancy slotted/cross drilled ones on my 05 with bone stock ones, and braking is great again. The fancy ones lasted all of 4000 miles before they chattered and shook beyond belief. Ugh.

FYI, this was on an assortment of cars from an Audi A8, to an 01 Dak CC, to an 05 Dak QC.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nanohead
Personally, I've had only bad luck with aftermarket custom rotors, whether they are cross drilled, slotted, dimpled or in the shape of a klondike bar!

They warp quickly, and are generally made from substandard blanks (especially the cheapos). I bought them 5 times in the past 7 years (they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results!!!) and have now sworn off them in favor of good old stock rotors. I think they are more of a fashion statement at this point than a performance improvement. I just replaced the fancy slotted/cross drilled ones on my 05 with bone stock ones, and braking is great again. The fancy ones lasted all of 4000 miles before they chattered and shook beyond belief. Ugh.

FYI, this was on an assortment of cars from an Audi A8, to an 01 Dak CC, to an 05 Dak QC.
As in stock do you mean OEMs from the dealer or like Factory Replacements from Napa, Autozone, or other? I have always had decent luck with Napa and or Autozone.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
is that a "D'OH" as in Homer Simpson???? lol
No, that is a facepalm.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 AM
nanohead
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
As in stock do you mean OEMs from the dealer or like Factory Replacements from Napa, Autozone, or other? I have always had decent luck with Napa and or Autozone.
Usually factory replacements. I've also had good luck with most of them. Rotors are really cheap to make, and they seem to come from every country under the sun. I'm sometimes not even sure if you could find the source of many of these aftermarket rotors. What's interesting is that prices vary wildly, for what is for the most part, a commodity part, especially on a volume car/truck application.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

like I said in previous posts on the subject, I've had nothing but good luck using basic o'reilly's plain jane rotors and semi-metallic pads. Just was presented a chance at these for a good price. The intervention has worked, I'll stick to my solid rotors.

Quick Reply: Dimpled/slotted rotors