3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

?'s concerning my return home MODS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?'s concerning my return home MODS

to those of you who have lowered your dakotas rear end...how much adjustment are the headlights going to require to bring back level like stock and not blinding other cars coming at you? And how hard are the headlight bulbs themselves to replace along with front end turn light signals which are in the front as well. And also the rear lights how do you take them out to replace the brake lights and reverse lights? as i'm replacing the Headlights/turn signals/fog lights/brake lights and reverse lights so that my travels to Fort Hood, Texas from virginia i dont get any surprises on light outages! Thanks in Advance!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I had to lower my headlights about 4 turns on each side after I lowered the rear. The drivers side headlight bulb I was able to replace with the housing in place, the passenger side I had to remove the housing. Took maybe 10 mins for both bulbs. Signals I have not replaced, you might make it easy on yourself and just remove both headlights to replace the bulbs. I think there are 2 or three torx head screes holding the headlights in. Rears you have to remove the housings. A couple of screws and a hard tug will pop them out. Fog lights are a 5 min. job from underneath the front. Cheers!

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-06-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no idea about the head lights. i put my leveling kit on and never adjusted them. the tail lights have two hex screws, you have to open the tailgate and there on the side of the light assembly you'll see the screws. take them out and pull the tail light assembly off. it's a little tricky to take them out the first time, you have to pull them until they pop out but don't do it to hard or you'll break the tabs... good luck !!!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I had to lower my headlights about 4 turns on each side after I lowered the rear. The drivers side headlight bulb I was able to replace with the housing in place, the passenger side I had to remove the housing. Took maybe 10 mins for both bulbs. Signals I have not replaced, you might make it easy on yourself and just remove both headlights to replace the bulbs. I think there are 2 or three torx head screes holding the headlights in. Rears you have to remove the housings. A couple of screws and a hard tug will pop them out. Fog lights are a 5 min. job from underneath the front. Cheers!
so you can see these screws for the headlights fairly easily then or are they hidden? and what exactly is a torx head screw?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
and what exactly is a torx head screw?
it's like an allen screw head but it's shaped like a star !

Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Ther screws are easy to get to. you need an extension to reach them. One is under the light and you can see it where they have a little half-moon cutout at the bottom of the plastic lens housing. The other you have to raise the hood and pull back the rubber pieces that seal the gap between the headlight and the hood. Super easy once you start looking for them. The truck is full of torx head screws so you better pick you up a set. No mechanics toolbox is complete without them these days.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

When I put my nightrunners in it took me about 15 minutes per housing, three screws (I just used a 10mm socket with an extension) and a tug because theres a little ball holding the light in place. I'll get up a pic of my spare light housing.
Heres a pic of the ball from the top
Whiteboy1.jpg

And heres a pic of the rear of the housing three screw holes and the ball (the ball is on the blinker side of the housing)
Whiteboy2.jpg

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
so you can see these screws for the headlights fairly easily then or are they hidden? and what exactly is a torx head screw?
this is what a torx screw looks like
IMG_1718.jpg
this is what the bit looks like
IMG_1721.jpg
and this is the screws holding the tail lights in you'll need a T25 torx
IMG_1709.jpg
I had to go buy a set of torx bits because car companies are putting them all over the newer cars and trucks

Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker

WOW thank you everyone for that advice and pics i'm really impressed how quick yall came up with pictures! i'll have to do some ordering of that soon so i'll have them! sounds good thank you all so much i really appreciate it!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

No problemo that's what the forum's for right. Good luck and we want to see some finished pics in return for our pics lol.

Quick Reply: ?'s concerning my return home MODS