3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Horrible front suspension sqeak. Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 AM
CJK44t
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRidinHood
I would have to guess the sway bar end links...it took the dealer three tries to get it right, first upper, then lower and finally the end links and.....BINGO no more clatter...plus it rides like new again...
I think its those too. Sat I doused the rubber biscuits with silicone to no avail. Drove it the next day and noticed much deminished squeak. Yesterday no squeak at all. I thought the warm wet weather was affecting it but today, dry and 20 degrees and still quiet.

I think it simply took some use for the silicone to work its way in between the bushings and end of the bar. I'll have to get new rubber and throw it in. Much easier and cheaper than ball joints.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
CJK44t
Amateur

The noise started back up again. So much for my silicone soaking in theory. I pulled it in the garage and could disconnected both sway bar links and it still does it. Upon further inspection, both lower ball joints are shot, beyond service limit and need to be replaced whether or not they are the source of the noise.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
blackdak05ia

i replaced my front shocks about a month ago and fixed the brake that fell apart! now i have a squeak on my driver side i had my buddy get under and listen while i bounced it and he said it sounded like the lower shock mount/bolt/bushing squeaking i still need to loosen it and fill it with grease! thatll fix it!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
rainier

I was having a lot of squeaking and thumping while turning. Turned out to be the sway bar sliding in and out of the worn bushings. Eventually it popped one of the bolts that mounts the sway bar to the frame. Replaced both the bushings and all the noise is gone.

It was fairly obvious because there was a bit of clean metal showing on the sway bar around the bushings.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM
CJK44t
Amateur

It was definately my lower ball joints. I replaced 'em (made a seperate thread about it) and its gone. Seems to handle a little tighter too. My sway bare endlinks could stand replacement and my sway bar to frame mounts seem a little worn but not causing any noticable problems.

Quick Reply: Horrible front suspension sqeak. Struts?