3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Inexpensive air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 PM
themongoose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive air intake

I decided that I'd take a risk and try out one of these inexpensive kits that are all over eBay. I bought this dual snorkel setup from L3 Racing. It was only a few dollars more than the value of a K&N filter by itself so I risked it. Cut to the chase - it was well worth it! $65 and the instructions were clear, all the parts were included, and the quality was pretty good - better than I expected. I'd but another one from them for sure. I'm on my 2nd tank of gas and have gained 1.5mpg, no check engine lights either, not even when I first started it up. It sounds awesome, a good low burble at 2-2.5k and then a roar from 4k on up to redline. Coupled with my Fastman TB this truck is fun to drive now...can't wait to put an exhaust on it.

DakotaDualSnorkel.jpg

Last edited by themongoose; 12-13-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Dells33
Rookie

That to me screams water getting sucked into the engine if you hit a descent sized water puddle.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by dells33
That to me screams water getting sucked into the engine
no more than any other exposed filter air intake. This one WILL just suck in hot engine compartment air, though.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only part of it that I don't like is the location of the filters. The higher they are in the engine bay, the hotter the air intake charge will be, resulting in lower horsepower gains (compared to hp gains with a cooler intake charge).

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM
themongoose

If those filters get water in them then my flood insurance better pay for it 'cause the truck must be underwater!

Donkeypunch - yep I agree with the hotter air. If I were racing I wouldn't set it up this way. For just reduced losses (+mpg) this works great and looks good. Although some 6" flexible inlet hose like they used on the old Ford Thunderbolt run from both fender wells for cold air to each filter might look really cool...

1964_thunderbolt_engine_air_intakes.jpg

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
08XDakota
Captain

So is a CAI a safe thing to get, i really want to get one but i keep seeing people say how water can get it into it but how much water is really going to cause the damage?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
rengnath
Champion

A little water in your intake does nothing but steam clean the pistons. Ive only seen stories of people who have hydrolocked engines while mudding or submerging their truck under water.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
08XDakota
Captain

Oh ok thats what i thought lol just wanted to make sure

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
bruno426
Captain

yeah the only one I have ever heard of damaging and engine with water, was a jeep that had the original intake box... down at the bottom of the grill. He went through a flodded street, and acutally covered the intake, kinda like a shop-vac, when you put the hose under water, yeah he cracked a head on that one.

He learned he lesson too, that was at 12k miles. Now the engine has 265k on the original engine less the head that was replaced.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, a little water doesn't hurt anything. However, a lot of water will give you more than a headache. One would have to attempt to get water to be sucked up in the intake. I have a homemade CAI (this isn't my race car, so it doesn't require much expensive stuff) and have driven through some pretty serious puddles. Granted, I a little bit of dirty water on the filter...but then again...I don't have a heat sheild either.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive air intake