3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Where do I get a MyGiG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am extremely skeptical about buying this used from someone who has pulled it from somewhere. Who knows what damage he has done to it or if it works at all. If I can't afford to buy it new and have it professionally installed I won't do it.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paypal and ebay are plenty safe, worst case, if you recieve a devective unit, you will get your funds back, just be out a couple days, but i have never had a terriable transaction, and i spend a lot of money through paypal, actually i dont even go to any stores for anything anymore unless its an emergency

Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
paypal and ebay are plenty safe, worst case, if you recieve a devective unit, you will get your funds back, just be out a couple days, but i have never had a terriable transaction, and i spend a lot of money through paypal, actually i dont even go to any stores for anything anymore unless its an emergency
agreed. most everything I get anymore, I can usually find cheaper on ebay and using paypal is very safe. I have never been ripped off, intentionally or unintentionally buying stuff through ebay and I've bought a ton of stuff.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
ballsout
Professional

you could go out and buy a 2 din NAV/DVD unit for cheaper and if you would like i could give you instructions on how to modify your bezel to make it look like it came in the truck, it took me about 5 hours of work and that includes wiring the unit. You do have to be comfortable with using bondo and fibreglass though.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 PM
trevorrawson
Rookie

ballsout, I might be hitting you up this summer for those instructions. It's a good amount cheaper to buy a 2 din unit and you can get a much better system.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
ballsout
Professional

i will try and get some pics of it for you, it really wasn't that hard to do it. just takes some ***** to take a dremel to the bezel.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM
trevorrawson
Rookie

When I was 18 I had a 66 bronco that I took an air nibbler to so I could fit some fatter tires on and drilled some holes in the hood for hood pins. First time I've ever done body work. If there's no chance that a screw up could cost you a good amount then you're not going to be putting your best work into it!!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 PM
SLT07Dakota
Professional

Hey Dakota,

This is my thread about it and I did not know the name of the radio at the time but the guys gave me a ton of good info, I just got one for my truck and it will be installed by mid Jan.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dio-bezel.html

my truck is a 07 and it never came with that option that year so I have to modify my bezel but you can buy a Mygig bezel for yours.

The install would take less than an hour to complete from start to finish after you buy the proper bezel and lockpick

I am not sure if you need the lockpick but I think you might still.

If I had an 08, it would be in by now.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
keithhud
Professional

If you decide to go with an after market GPS/Radio make sure you add a PAC's C2R-CHY4 (Allows aftermarket radio installation in select 2004-up Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles) They range anywhere from $80 to $150 on top of the cost of the GPS/Radio.

Looks like you have 2008/2009, The PAC's C2R-CHY4 is not needed if you install a MyGIG. Stick with a low speed MyGIG unit if you decide to go that route and you will be ok.

Whatever you decide good luck.

Last edited by keithhud; 12-27-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w/e you decide to do just make sure you take pics and post!

Quick Reply: Where do I get a MyGiG?