3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Time for New Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
As I said earlier, it would make sense for anyone with low mileage to get a grease gun needle and grease the factory ball joints. They die at 50k because there dry, period. It's a simple ball joint, as long as it stays greased, it lasts. Better to have a tiny hole in the boot then run a ball joint dry.
can you explain grease gun needle? and where I would grease the factory ball joints? is it what it sounds like? kinda like an inflation needle for a football or something like that and you just stick it into the rubber boot around the joint and grease away?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill be installing mine on Saturday as well. I ordered the Moogs and they will be here that day. My passanger side upper joint is way too loose for my comfort.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Bobby do you think it was like that for awhile and you never noticed it until the leveling kit? or did you install the leveling kit and....BAM....ball joints went out....??

Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM
rengnath
Champion

Kent, trust me, my truck has alot of miles on it and the leveling kit didnt cause the problem. I would say the leveling kit finished it off, but it was on its way out.

My front end has been clunking, but most of it was coming from the sway bar. I have greasable bushings on the way. This past week I started hearing an aweful noise from the front end, so I pulled the sway bar off. The sound went away I thought, but the next day it was back and sure enough I could grap the top control arm and move it up and down. The uppers are still factory, and have 120k on them. Any stock suspension part that lasts that long (especially on a Dakota) is good in my book. I dont blame the leveling kit. The lowers went out around 90k. Tie rods are still factory, and will be replaced this summer when I have some extra cash floating around.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

word....i'm going to get the daystar kit. just scored a set of professionally tinted taillights for cheap on ebay, so gotta wait again on the spacers...lol

Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
rengnath
Champion

You're killin me smalls!
I can hear blue thunder all the way over hear, crying because of the rake that front end has .....

Old 03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

it was level....but someone kept giving me crap about "lowering" a 4x4...lol...i gotta find a weekend and get ueland down here so he can help me install the spacers when i get them...i'll worry about struts later...

Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
rengnath
Champion

Yeah, there are some real tools on this forum ..... who would ever harrass someone for lowering a 4x4? They would have to be out of their mind .....

Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
can you explain grease gun needle? and where I would grease the factory ball joints? is it what it sounds like? kinda like an inflation needle for a football or something like that and you just stick it into the rubber boot around the joint and grease away?
It's a needle nose adapter. You can buy them for any grease gun. Some question how effective they actually are though, and whether it can grease a sealed ball joint well. Plus it makes that tiny hole in the boot. You just push the needle into the boot and grease it until full.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by rengnath
Yeah, there are some real tools on this forum ..... who would ever harrass someone for lowering a 4x4? They would have to be out of their mind .....
Sure am glad i came to my senses!

Quick Reply: Time for New Control Arms