3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Mods for this Year

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
rick4dak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mods for this Year

I'm planning mods for my truck for this year. Some of them are still questionable and I would appreciate input.
1) Modify the CAI to reduce some of the noise. It drowns out everything while accelerating (towing up a hill).
2) Headers - wrapped to keep most of the heat inside.
3) Magnaflow high-flow cat/Y-pipe. I'll probably wrap this also.
Since this goes to single exhaust, I question the value with headers. Maybe high-flow cats and fabricated duals with an "X-Pipe".
4) Sound insulate as much of the interior as possible (to reduce tire and gear whine from coming inside).

You might see a pattern here - I use my truck for towing on the highway for long miles. More power and less noise are my themes for 2011.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

wow...most guys on here are all about more power and MORE noise...lol...i didnt see anything about a muffler, so what are you running? Maybe go with a quieter muffler, too? Do you have a CAI with an exposed filter? Not much you can do to reduce noise from that without affecting it's ability to draw air. You could go back to a stock air box and miodify the intake to it for better cold air intake (ueland did that on his).

Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

On the CAI, I was thinking about trying to use my Airraid filter and tube to the TB but covering the air box. I'll probably have to put a bigger tube to get outside air from the fender well.
My current muffler is a Flowmaster SUV with an 18" resonator in front. It sounds good to me, throaty but not loud. The intake completely drowns-out the ehxaust.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
rengnath
Champion

Id agree with the intake drowing out the exhaust. Its all engine noise once you put an intake on. Before you do, the engine is actually pretty quiet.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This summer I am planning on sound insulating my interior (now that I've seen how easy it is to tear everything out). I am still pretty sure that I am going to use dynamat, but the more I look into it the more I am finding other brands that are similar and probably just as good, but cost a bit less. I like the sound of my exhaust also, but after just having been on a road trip for spring break and putting 2,500 miles on her in about a week, I think that sound insulation would be a good investment (especially if you do it yourself). If you like I have pics of my interior after I stripped everything out, so you can get an idea of where all the wiring is under the carpet. Be prepared with zip ties and electrical tape, cuz you will probably have to redo some of it when you put the stuff in.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

Thanks Itiliandominatot but someone else posted pictures of their interior after taking everything out. Also recomended that Frost King insulation over the Dynamat will help keep the noise and heat out.

Quick Reply: New Mods for this Year