3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Isolator spring seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isolator spring seat

Hey guys,

Im getting new strut mount installed Tuesday to try and fix the clunking noise that is coming from the top of my passanger side strut. I ordered Moogs, and I got the mount and a flat spring isolator.

Looking at the Trailmaster install instructions, there were 2 isolators used. I dug a little deeper, and found that there was an extra piece added in 2006. In 2005, the spring isolator was also the the spring seat. In 2006, they were both seperate.

For your viewing pleasure;
The Trailmaster install (page 4 for the pics of the added ramp): http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...ions/DL223.pdf

My current suspension components (Trailmaster spacer not in pic, but installed. Current isolator is #18):
05Suspension.jpg

The 06-07 Dakota suspension with the added ramp (The spring seat/ramp is #20 in the pic, the isolator is #19):
Suspension.gif

My concern comes in with finding the rattle in my suspension. Everything leads me to believe its a mount, but I would really like to replace everything on the top of the strut just to make sure its not something other than the mount. This install is costing $260. So should I add one of these ramps? Would it even be compatible, or would they have changed springs between years as well? I dont have the 06/07 Dakota parts manual to check the numbers myself, and any parts list online doesnt list part numbers.

And lastly, I wanted to mention that my current isolator does have the groove for the spring to sit in, similar to the ramp. The Moog one is competly flat. If I dont buy a new ramp, do I want to use the flat Moog isolator and the old isolator together, possibly with the Trailmaster spacer in between? Heres a pic of what the Moog mount looks like, and you can see there is no where to "seat" the spring:
IMG_20110325_222306.jpg

It appears that the Moog was designed around the 06-07 mount, and not the 05 even though its listed for an 05.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by rengnath; 03-25-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Corks
Professional

I will look into this tommorow while I am at work and see if NAPA lists anything different from my '05 from an '06-'06 models. I know i sift through our catalog at work a lot while I get a little bit of free time because I considered doing my struts too.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks Corks, I would appreciate it!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Corks
Professional

Sorry I didn't get time to look into it today but i'm leaving myself a note to do it monday. After driving for 4 hours this morning for them i then did paperwork for another 4.5 hrs after.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
rengnath
Champion

No problem. I went to the dealership to ask, but ofcourse they said it didnt fit because it wasnt on the parts list for my truck.

Quick Reply: Isolator spring seat