3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Is there any cure yet for the BOUNCY TRX4 struts/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think the question is what differences do the TRX4s have? I thought they just had upgraded struts and shocks, not an actual longer travel distance?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
Hey Marc! Good to see you back brother!!

I guess the best swap will be the Ranchos. So far nothing better!!
Thanks been trying to get things ready for the move to alaska.

What brand shocks does dodge trucker have

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I don't think we are addressing the question here. Rancho says their struts wont work on the TRX4, so if rancho's are out of the question (which would also mean monrow and kyb) then what other option is there to stiffen up the TRX4 suspension? At least thats the way I'm readin it (and no, I have not been drinking.. : p)
Exactly the problem. Going big $$ and buying OEM would be a not-so-smart move as I hated the struts from the 1st week or so.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by frozenchosen1
what about putting some sand bags in the box over the wheels to take some bounce out. worked for me .
I don't even notice the back struts bouncing.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
Well I think the question is what differences do the TRX4s have? I thought they just had upgraded struts and shocks, not an actual longer travel distance?

According to two different dealers and what I've seen here and elsewhere they are a bit longer travel. I saw on here where one trx4 owner replaced them with monroe and had issues with 'topping out'.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 AM
rengnath
Champion

Alright, looking at parts, I cant find anything different in control arms. They are claiming +1" ride height over the a non TRX4 Dakota, so we need to find out how they are obtaining the lift. Do you have a link to the thread where the struts were over-extending? If the 1" of lift is in the struts and not the control arms (ie. the control arms are exactly the same as other Dakotas) there is no reason for the strut to over extend; the upper control arm should limit it.

Heres what the TRX4 package is:
The TRX package includes unique five-spoke/five-lug 16-inch aluminum wheels and Goodyear Wrangler off-road tires; tow hooks; a limited-slip differential; and TRX decal on the cargo box. The TRX package is available on 2WD ST, SLT and Laramie. TRX4 Off-Road includes everything in the TRX package plus painted shocks; an increased ride height of one inch; heavy-duty service package; skid plates; TRX4 Off-Road cargo box decal; and slush mats.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

I wonder how they obtained 1+ inch of lift. Would be neat if we could replace our stuff with TRX stuff.... hmmmm...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 PM
rengnath
Champion

Im guessing its just blocks with bigger shocks in the rear and some sort of spacer up front. I cant imagine that they would make a "long travel" control arm set up for the front for just 1" and for a package that was on a limited number of trucks. It will be interesting to see what we find out.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

That is what I was thinking.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Originally Posted by rengnath
Im guessing its just blocks with bigger shocks in the rear and some sort of spacer up front. I cant imagine that they would make a "long travel" control arm set up for the front for just 1" and for a package that was on a limited number of trucks. It will be interesting to see what we find out.
No and no. Possibly an additional leaf in the rear but mine has no blocks. On the front, there is no spacer either. The only thing I can think is that maybe the upper perch/mount may be shorter, positioning the coilover lower off the frame than a non TRX model.

Quick Reply: Is there any cure yet for the BOUNCY TRX4 struts/springs?