3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota Rear Drum Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by cncman40
The e-brake cable is right behind the access hole making it almost impossible to see anything in the hole let alone get a screwdriver or something in there to hold the adjuster back off the star adjuster..I knew I hated Dodge for a reason!! LOL
Don't blame Dodge if you're doing it wrong. The adjusting cog will spin one way and lock going the other, with the drum on. As was said, you take the drum off and adjust it. When you put the drum back on, turn it by hand to feel when the shoes are beginning to brush on the drum, that's when you have it adjust right. Then you do the drive in reverse thing....

Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM
regg187
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did my 05 3 mths ago, beat and beat and beat, no bueno. screwed the 2 bolts in like said in earlier post and "poof' off they came. remember to take the locking ring off the 1 stud that it is on, if this is the first time the drums are off. take a picture of it all together so you can put it back exatally the same. 165xxx and mine still had the locking ring on meaning the drums had never been off. there was almost nothing left but the drums were not scored.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
all you need, if they are stuck is a couple of 9/16 bolts. there are threaded holes you put them in to remove the drum. Shuddering is a common problem on these trucks, not sure if, by 2006, they got it fixed. I know there was a tsb where they replaced the axle and drums, etc.
Originally Posted by regg187
did my 05 3 mths ago, beat and beat and beat, no bueno. screwed the 2 bolts in like said in earlier post and "poof' off they came. remember to take the locking ring off the 1 stud that it is on, if this is the first time the drums are off. take a picture of it all together so you can put it back exatally the same. 165xxx and mine still had the locking ring on meaning the drums had never been off. there was almost nothing left but the drums were not scored.
Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm glad that I found it. Anyone know the length of the 9/16" bolts that I should get?

I think use M8x1.25 x40mm for my Odyssey van. But, those are rotors with a parking brake drums; so, I assume that they would be shorter.

TIA

Old 11-18-2019, 09:32 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philipat
Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm glad that I found it. Anyone know the length of the 9/16" bolts that I should get?

I think use M8x1.25 x40mm for my Odyssey van. But, those are rotors with a parking brake drums; so, I assume that they would be shorter.

TIA
Longer won't hurt anything, Except maybe your knees when you drive the bolts all the way in and the drums fall on your knees.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota Rear Drum Removal