3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How big is YOUR throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
Ha ha if u think those are bad you should see my welds. I could use your throttle body as a cup holder for oversized drinks
Haha. I'm pretty sure that you could use this tb as a 32oz Gatorade holder, lol.

This is a fun joke for the honda guys: My single throttle plate is bigger than your bore size. I make more horsepower in one cyclinder than you do in 4.

This setup will be amazing compared to the stock intake manifold and tb. Last year, on 17psi (low boost) the car made 435whp, running stupid rich with no advanced timing. This year, I'm running 25psi (mid boost). At that boost, with my engine configuration (cams, porting, displacement, etc) I should see around 50-60whp increase. So, figure around the 550whp mark, concervatively.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 06-01-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
wingman_214
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
You have a lot to learn, young padawan learner. Lol. It will idle just fine. Idle is achieved two ways: Throttle position, and air/fuel ratio. This will actually idle better than the stock throttle body because of the progressive rate linkage. Also, I don't run a stock ECU anymore. The AEM standalone allows the capability to compensate.

I don't run nitrous, so there was no need to plug the ports. With the new turbo, I'm going to have my target boost set at 30psi. Welding is the better option here. Plus, the previous owner stripped the threads. I suppose I could weld some fins to the turbine wheel, increase the spool time and top end flow...lol.

Eric, my IC piping is 3", post intercooler. I have an AEM standalone now, so tunability will be more precise.
I didn't mean that your car wouldn't idle at all. i meant that because your new throttle area is 225% more the ecm would be constantly overcompensating. however seeing that you have a standalone ecm you will be able to adjust throttle compensation and injector pulsewidth for a smooth idle that stoic as well.

But all in all its a race car who needs a smooth idle when it makes 600+ at WOT.

Ive got a friend who built his wrx to go 6.70's in the 1/8th on pump gas.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Timid184

Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

so why cant we tune a 4.7 this way?? remind me again??

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey donkey what was your last ET? And what turbo are you running?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wingman_214
Lol...maybe you should weld some more fins on the turbo.
Yea and then this thread makes it way around the world like the other one lol

Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Goood god! That things huge...

Yes Yes I know thats what she said...

In your dreams

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Question

Originally Posted by ericemery
Good god. Those aem units are crazy.

Are you able to tune while not on a dyno with them?
Of course. All a dyno does is give you a legal reason to let her breath with out going to the track. Honestly, I like tuning on the street better than anything. I get to see different load values in different gears, while adjusting for grades in the road. For me, the track is the ultimate dyno that gives me the most information in the logs for performance. But, its also very expensive is you are going to the track JUST to tune, let alone set up a base tune.

Jkeaton, you could tune this way. We just need to convince AEM that there is a market for this style of ECU. If demand is high enough, and projected sales mirror demand, then they will productionize an ECU. For the longest time, I used DSMLink: which is amazing for what it is. It still used the stock ECU, but you have the capability of reprogramming almost all of the stock settings. It's not just a piggyback unit, like the superchips. The standalone's let you create everything from zero. This way, you don't deal with factory fail safes that hinder tunability or performance.

Wingman, no worries. I've been doing this for some time now. Suprisingly, the Q45s idle very well on our cars (assuming you adjust accordingly). The best part about this throttle body, is that you get the best of both worlds: Better drivability in-town, easier tunability for idle, amazing hp gain when in boost.

Ruger, we didn't even make a pass last year. There have been too many changes thus far for me to even consider making a pass yet. I did some shake down passes in 09' just to setup some base tuning.

Before I take her back to the track, some certain things are happening first:

Get the AEM tuned and ready, put in new fuel system (Aeromotive A1000, 8 gallon cell, -10 feed line), convert to AWD with a 4-link rear suspension and solid ford 9" rear end.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Here's some previous stuff:

This pass was made in 09' at Bandimere (5280' in elevation = 1 second slower than sea level). Keep in mind, this is just a shake down run. I eased out of the beams like I would at a stop sign. 14psi, no timing, didn't use the NLTS, slow shifting, full tank of fuel, and my A/F ratio was around 11.5:1.

Here's the dyno pass from last year. 17psi (again super low boost), no timing, a/f ratio was around 12:1 on the gas scale. Made 435whp, 395lb/ft torque.

Idle in garage and two step fun. Idle is at 1000rpms.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 06-02-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How big is YOUR throttle?