3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Changed Fluid PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Fluid PITA!

I changed my front and rear differential fluid this weekend. What a PITA the front is. To get the cover and a couple bolts off you need to drop the power steering bracket from the frame. Also changed front wheel bearing, store gave me the wrong one, gave me one for a 4 wheel abs and my 08 doesnt have front abs. So needless to say there was only 1 place in a 80 miles radius that had the correct part on a saturday. Thank god to my fiance for leaving home and picking the part up and driving it 20 miles. Something awesome did come out of the weekend though, when I had my exhaust put on they left the resignator on right after the y-pipe. Well we took that off and replaced it with pipe, all I can say is AMAZING! This truck sounds like a hemi with quality duals.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the future... If the front dif is not leaking just pump out the fluid.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie

Good call, you live and you learn. Thats basiclly the only thing we didnt have at the shop, was some kind of pump. I feel better now that I have royal purple in them both. Next is trans and transfer case.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I've found that NO ONE stocks front end parts for our trucks around here. I always call before I start and they usually have to ship it out of a warehouse somewhere and it takes a day or so. my front CV axle took 2 days to come in. They have them, they just dont stock them (oreilly's, autozone, advance, napa)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That front resonator ( and rear one, if you have one) really has to come out if you're replacing the muffler to get any sound. Glad to hear you finally removed it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 AM
dodgedkota08
Rookie

I called all those places and no one had one. I called 1 dodge dealership that was closest to where we were and they didnt have one and said it was on back order, so I called the one close to where I live and they had it and it was cheaper than any of those other parts stores by $15 so it turned out ok. What a difference removing that resignator was, I love it. It was such a pain in the *** to even get my fingers on the bolts to pull the bolts out because the frame and a couple bolts to the power steering are like mm's from the cover, it's really a ****ty design. My friend has been a mechanic since high school (class of 03) and he says he's not seen anything like it. I'm glad I didnt have to pay for labor or free use of the garage with a lift (just dinner for my friend) because that would have been a huge bill.

Quick Reply: Changed Fluid PITA!