3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Anzo Black Projector with Halo Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
cope4jerd
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TM.SS
Undecided as to paint bumper black or go with the body color (Lt. Almond) decisions decisions. One thing that you do always leads to two or three other things. I still want to paint the aluminum diamond plate box box black, too many things not enough time! By the way I admire the engine mods you've done to your Raider, a whole lot more work than I would ever tackle.

as you can see my truck is the same color and i have also been going back and forth on painting the bumper black when i get home. i messed around with one of my pics in paint shop and i like it. on second thought i had also wondered after getting my feneder flares about painting everything the body color too, since it would only be the grille and the fender flares, but then i thought to myself thats more money and i'd be pissed if i messed up the money spent on that stuff by dickin around off roading. not trying to copycat ur truck but its tuff when they are the same color and there is only so many things we can do. i say go for it tho if you are wanting rid of the chrome look

Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h324/TMSS1/

OK, I removed the lights and painted the trim a matte black. Latest pic with running lights on and painted trim. After reading the trouble some are having with LED turn signal bulbs, and talking to the parts guys at a couple of parts houses I decided not to go with them and stick with the amber colored bulbs (ugly as they are, IMO).

The trim looks great but LEDs are the way to go.
Stock bulb
lightsoffstandardbulb.jpg

LED
lightsoffled.jpg

And I painted my trim also heres a pic
blacktrim.jpg

Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
TM.SS
Rookie

Dutch Touch: Thanks for the comments. I like the idea of using the LEDs instead of the ugly amber bulb but i've heard so many comments about getting them to flash properly. What did you have to do to get them to work correctly? What bulbs did you use? How many leds front and how many side? Your truck looks great with those black lights and no ugly amber reflectling detracting from the looks.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

Heres the ones I have, http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...-p7470676.html it's a steap price but they work and look great, I also got mine when they were on sale for 39.99.

As for the resistor which is very necesary to prevent 'hyper flash' I got these just for the nice protective cover and mounting bracket, http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...-p8795272.html these will two bulbs in one circuit, so I used one resistor for the front and rear light on each side.
Front parking light
Led.jpg

Rear light much brighter, left is the LED and right is stock bulb.
brighteronthesnow2.jpg

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I will paint the bumper black. If you body color it it will look off with the fender flares black!! JMHO!!!!

By the way the headlights looks awesome with the grille!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I like the idea of using the LEDs instead of the ugly amber bulb but i've heard so many comments about getting them to flash properly. What did you have to do to get them to work correctly? What bulbs did you use? How many leds front and how many side? Your truck looks great with those black lights and no ugly amber reflectling detracting from the looks.

Like I did, you could always put in chrome / amber blinking lights. No need to worry about resistors, simply pull out the stock bulb and pop in the new one. I got them on Ebay, pretty cheap too.

With stock amber bulb.

With chrome amber bulb.

The amber that you see in the bottom pic is the reflection of the amber side marker.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
TM.SS
Rookie

http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h324/TMSS1/

Decided to go with the LEDs and 50 watt 6 ohm resistors 1 per bulb as recommended by the manufacturer of the bulbs. They noted that the resistors would get hot so I mounted them on the cross bar in front of the radiator where they will get plenty of cooling. I painted them black to have them blend in behind the grille. Tested and working fine, no installation problems at all. I like the look of the white bulb much better than the amber.

Quick Reply: Anzo Black Projector with Halo Headlights