3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dak Engine/overheating/stalling/shudder etc. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 AM
nickelndimedakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dak Engine/overheating/stalling/shudder etc. Help?

I'm searching the forums, and honestly can't come up with the solutions I'm looking for. Maybe someone else can help?? This Dakota is nickel and diming me to death!

It's the 2005 Dakota 4.7 Quad Cab, Auto transmission 4x4. ~120,000 miles on the ticker.

Here's the issues. Ambient temperatures 90*+ It runs warm through the city, and overheats especially when going up hill. The transmission does downshift at least once, but even with the overdrive OFF, it is still very sluggish, ie: it only wants to climb the mountain roads at 30-40 mph pedal to the metal. On the highway- going up the grade to Tahoe, it will drop from cruising speed of 75mph to about 60 floored. (This happens even when it's cool out and the truck's not overheating too!)

The truck will randomly stall out. Sometimes when going from reverse to forward, sometimes at a stop light. Doesn't happen as much since the plugs were changed, but it still happens.

It's also got a horrible "shaking" or shuddering from the front end when driving at random. Not only when the brakes are applied. Tires have been rotated and balanced. I'm thinking it could be bushings??

On advice from others, and research on the threads, here's what's been done.. Need to find solutions before I go broke.

Radiator flushed- new coolant/water. ~75-25%
New thermostat-180*
Engine oil change 5 qts oil 1 qt. of lucas oil stabilizer
K&N Oil filter
New air filter
New OE replacement copper spark plugs
New Cam sensor
New MAF sensor
6 full tank treatments of Lucas fuel injector cleaner
Had transmission fluid tested. It's good.

Considering water wetter additive?

Any other experiences on what the heck is wrong with this pile?

Oh, and the fuel economy is horrible. I'm lucky to get 14 MPG on the highway.. even after all this.

Last edited by nickelndimedakota; 07-06-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the last time you had the transmission filters changed with OEM ones?

When was the last time you did a low pressure trans flush?

What is your location? Even north by me 50/50 coolant is perfect. Seams like 75 coolant 25 water is to much coolant.

Have you checked your thermostat?

Did you gap the spark plugs?

When was the last time you removed the throttle body and cleaned the snot out of it?

water wetter additives wont do anything in our closed system.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!! Eimer123 pretty much nailed your engine and tranny problems. As far as vibration, I just went through vibrations up front and in back. The cause up front was a loose caliper. The mounting bolts were tight just not enough and the rotor was a hair warped, not noticeable in the brake pedal. When the bolts are tight and the rotor is warped it makes the caliper wobble side to side and that transfers to the wheel. I hope this helps

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
wingman_214
Veteran

Maf sensor or map sensor?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

disconnect the battery over night and let computer drain everything, see if this helps, could be a software issue

Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
nickelndimedakota

Originally Posted by Eimer123
When was the last time you had the transmission filters changed with OEM ones?
Replaced at 100k
When was the last time you did a low pressure trans flush?
At 100k
What is your location? Even north by me 50/50 coolant is perfect. Seams like 75 coolant 25 water is to much coolant.
Sacramento area. 75-25 is what the dealer recommended, I can easily drain some and add more distilled if we think this will work
Have you checked your thermostat?
I just replaced the thermostat 2 weeks ago.
Did you gap the spark plugs?
Spark plug gap was checked, and adjusted per my chilton manual
When was the last time you removed the throttle body and cleaned the snot out of it?
Possibly never?? I'm assuming this will help with the acceleration and mpg issues? Are there any gaskets needing replaced if I do this?
water wetter additives wont do anything in our closed system.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
Welcome to the forum!! Eimer123 pretty much nailed your engine and tranny problems. As far as vibration, I just went through vibrations up front and in back. The cause up front was a loose caliper. The mounting bolts were tight just not enough and the rotor was a hair warped, not noticeable in the brake pedal. When the bolts are tight and the rotor is warped it makes the caliper wobble side to side and that transfers to the wheel. I hope this helps
Thank you, I will pull the wheels, and check the bolts. Guess it could never hurt to have the rotors turned either.

The MAF (mass air flow) sensor

Would disconnecting the battery really do anything for me? I'm assuming it might temporarily clear out some codes, and mess up my clock. But that's about it?? Am I wrong? It's not throwing any codes.. just checked again yesterday.

I appreciate all your guys input!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

You don't have to pull the wheels. you can crawl under and check the bolts, not the slider bolts but the bolts that hold it on the ear(? thing)

Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might want to call the dealership and re-talk to them. You might have misheard what they said. I assume Sacramento does not have a freezing issue. Water will draw heat from the engine way better then coolant/antifreeze.

If they said 70% water and 30% coolant I can understand. The other way around makes no since to me for your location.

The Gasket for the throttle body is built in and does not have to be replaced, just clean all the passage ways on the back side and be careful with the sensors, they are sensitive.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dak Engine/overheating/stalling/shudder etc. Help?