3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front diff myth busted

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to be a neigh-sayer but I still wouldn't call this myth 'busted' until you have a shop install those and drive it without saying "Yeah, this isn't going to work". I was the one a year and a half ago making all the calls and emails to dodge, ring and pinion dealers, and other members about this stuff to no end... without any result besides do an axle swap or pay out the butt like SuperDak for a custom kit. On a light and fluffy note, no one knows crap about our trucks and I hope you can prove me and my research wrong, I really do. We are rooting for you.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 AM
sleds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trucky
I don't want to be a neigh-sayer but I still wouldn't call this myth 'busted' until you have a shop install those and drive it without saying "Yeah, this isn't going to work". I was the one a year and a half ago making all the calls and emails to dodge, ring and pinion dealers, and other members about this stuff to no end... without any result besides do an axle swap or pay out the butt like SuperDak for a custom kit. On a light and fluffy note, no one knows crap about our trucks and I hope you can prove me and my research wrong, I really do. We are rooting for you.
I followed that research quite closely. I have found, like you, that nobody knows anything about our trucks and have no faith in what parts people say when they look in a book and say they don't have anything for our truck. The same axle that is in a Ram is what is on my truck and I am hoping when the install happens everything will end up peachy. Thanks for rooting for me.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

The company that owned the truck before me had a set of 4:56.1 custom made/cut for the front diff.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM
sleds
Veteran

Well here is the good news. Myth busted once and for all!!

IMG_7252.jpg

Here is a shot of the new ring gear (standard rotation) and the old one in the housing still. Same rotation!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! I know my next big spend on my truck!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

I wonder why my truck had reverse cut gears, and the shaft entered in the same location... does build date have an effect on this by any chance?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by ericemery
I wonder why my truck had reverse cut gears, and the shaft entered in the same location... does build date have an effect on this by any chance?
Eric, I know that the differentials are the same from 2005 right through to the end of production. If your driveshaft entered in at the same spot as mine, there is only one rotation that the axles can turn based on the cut of the gears and how they fit in the housing. If you had reverse cut gears in there everything would turn backwards. Did someone actually look inside your diff? Maybe you were given bad information.

Quick Reply: Front diff myth busted