3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM
..Couzy..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing for Dummies

I have a question about towing.

I have little expierence towing, and I honestly dont have any plans on towing anything. I would just like to be educated on what my truck can handle in case of some type of emergency.

I have an '05 with a V6, rwd, without a tow package. So I have tow ball on the bumper. It says the ball is rated for 2k lbs, the bumper says it can handle max 2k lbs and a 500 lb tongue max.

I dont understand the tongue max. I have also heard that if the trailor is rated max 2000 or less and you shouldnt actually tow anything more than 10% less the max. so in this case 1800 lbs. Am I correct?

Also, If I had to tow anything I wouldnt want to strain the engine/tranny too much so is 2k lbs too much for a V6?

For an example, what is my car able to tow? Like.. Motorcyle, jetski etc?

Thanks everyone, and again I doubt I will ever tow anything I just want to know for a just in case scenario.

Last edited by ..Couzy..; 08-10-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ..Couzy..
I have a question about towing.

I have little expierence towing, and I honestly dont have any plans on towing anything. I would just like to be educated on what my truck can handle in case of some type of emergency.

I have an '05 with a V6, rwd, without a tow package. So I have tow ball on the bumper. It says the ball is rated for 2k lbs, the bumper says it can handle max 2k lbs and a 500 lb tongue max.

I dont understand the tongue max. I have also heard that if the trailor is rated max 2000 or less and you shouldnt actually tow anything more than 10% less the max. so in this case 1800 lbs. Am I correct?

Also, If I had to tow anything I wouldnt want to strain the engine/tranny too much so is 2k lbs too much for a V6?

For an example, what is my car able to tow? Like.. Motorcyle, jetski etc?

Thanks everyone, and again I doubt I will ever tow anything I just want to know for a just in case scenario.
The tongue weight is how much of your weight load is transferred from the trailer to your truck which can also be adjusted by where your load is placed on the trailer, over the trailer axels and so on. Simple statics type problem. The 10% theory is a decent safety factor some guys use, but if you plan on ever using the max trailer rating then you obviously should've have gotten a bigger trailer IMO. 2k lbs shouldnt strain your V6 at all. i am not saying you arent going to notice it, but you should be fine as far as the engine an tranny are concerned. I would be very careful at ever using your bumper for anything close to 2k lb though, its a little risky IMO. I would feel semi-confident towing lighter motorcyles and jet skis with the bumper. With the proper gear your truck should be able to tow most heavier items like a big cruiser, larger jet skis, and moderate sized boats with ease.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont understand the tongue max.
Tongue weight is if you were to put the tongue of your trailer on a scale, that's how much would be pushing down on your bumper. Conversely, if you were to lift up the tongue on your own, how much does it feel like it weighs? That's tongue weight, and your bumper has a maximum allowable amount.

I have also heard that if the trailor is rated max 2000 or less and you shouldnt actually tow anything more than 10% less the max. so in this case 1800 lbs. Am I correct?
While it isn't a mandatory requirement, it's good to have a safety margin, especially if you'll be at highway speeds.

Not at all. In fact, it's only about half of what you could tow if you add on a receiver-style hitch. Using Dodge's towing guide, for a 2005 Club Cab V6, auto, you can tow 4,550 lbs with a 3.55 axle ratio, and 4,850 lbs with a 3.92 axle ratio.

I have the above vehicle with 3.55 gears, added on a U-Haul receiver hitch and a B&M trans cooler for additional protection, and routinely tow a later-model 3-seat waverunner with ease at about 1,200 lbs including trailer.

But even maxing out for a short trip, this 2,500-lb trailer with about 2,000 lbs of furniture *properly distributed* felt just fine, with almost no noticable sag, and still stopped like it meant it (albeit with surge brakes):

When towing, keep the overdrive off ("tow/haul" button), and let the truck accelerate where it's comfortable.

You said you already have the ball, all you need now (if not already) is an inline wiring harness that connects through the existing taillight pigtails, and you're good to go for an easy 2,000 lbs.

ETA: I guess I also need to mention, if you haven't actually looked under your bumper yet, the bracket bolted to your frame which the bumper sits on (and which your trailer ball bolts through) is actually the down-tube of a full-size hitch already, and is the same one as used on trucks factory-equipped with the tow package, even the V8's, minus the receiver assembly. So consider this: Your "bumper" ball, rated for only 2,000 lbs in such use, is actually bolted to a bracket rated to pull and support over 7,000 lbs of trailer when in use and properly-equipped with some V8 configurations!

Last edited by erau; 08-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
..Couzy..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Appreciate the quick responses as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem, thats what we are all here for, friendships, to help, and to have fun with others of the same hobby/interest.

Quick Reply: Towing for Dummies