3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

key programing help 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 AM
peonu2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key programing help 2008

hi i tried to program a new key from a locksmith and his computer with no sucess. i was wondering if my aftermarket remote started has anything to do with it. it programs then says unreconized error comes up thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 AM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought our keys were chipped and you had to get them from the dealer. It does give key programming directions in the owners manual though. You might want to look at that and see if it works.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Lightbulb

You don't have to go with the dealer, but you do have to have your 4 digit pin for the programming, which you have to get from the dealer.

My local locksmith told me he would cut me a key for ~$197 after I got the pin from the dealership and that would be giving me a big discount (according to him).

He said the dealership might give me grief if I wanted my pin but I owned the vehicle so I had a right to the info.

The dealership gave me my pin when I asked for it, with little trouble, though that was after I had just given them $200.06 for a copy, I figured for ~$3 and having to go to the dealership either way I'd just stick with OEM.

Did you/your locksmith have to mess with a 4 digit pin?

If a pin was involved in your locksmiths computer trying to program the key & the Service Manual Programing directions aren't working for you (assuming you already have 2 keys...). Then yes, I'd say your aftermarket system would be worth investigating as a point of error. I'm however no expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

I just went through my own little "fun" of learning all about getting an expensive spare key made along with learning that there are no cheap solutions.

I did learn you should lubricate you door locks bi-annually so it doesn't seize up from lack of use. Would suck to have your key fob unlock fail from something breaking inside or battery failure only to then find out your lock is seized and you can't even manually enter your truck!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM
peonu2
Default 2008 dakota

you know there is a lot of bs from all dodge dealers i have gone to one to get my key programed they chg me 62.00 then said they couldnt program it. no reason or any thing. i have taken it to locksmith same thing 40.00 i watch him took less than 5 min went throught all the programing then says unexpexted error and key didnt work still chg me though.
no i was wondering after all this does antone think that it is my aftermarket command start. all the key fob numbers are exactly the sam as the one key that i have that works.
does anyone have a soulotin as to program myself with one working key no use going to dealers or locksmith any more. thank you all jim

Quick Reply: key programing help 2008