3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3inch pa lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuban11182
Doesn't the hitch hang alot lower with it installed?
Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Yes, since the hitch is mounted to the frame.
Now think about this........ How is it possible that the hitch hangs lower with a body lift?

The hitch is the same place it always was, the body is raised 3". But yeah, because the body is higher, it has the APPEARANCE that the hitch and all the suspension components, frame, etc. sit lower.

I read the other day on a 4x4/off-road based forum where a guy told another guy not to do a body lift because it would kill his angle of departure due to the hitch being lowered. I was like "huh??? ", so it needs to be clarified that the hitch or any other frame mounted components stay where they always were, the body just goes up.

That's the reason I stopped with 4" of suspension lift. I would have loved to add a 3" body lift and gone to 37" tires, but I have a frame mounted grill guard/winch mount and what the hell do you do with that? I'd have to completely fab/hack the front of the truck to retain them...

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks hammer for the instructions I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Sounds like a fun project. My hitch is off the truck because I have a roll pan, I'm wondering if I would be able to put it back on once I install the body lift.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

I am contemplating a lift for my truck also... Now that the eclipse is where I want it to be, the truck really only see's action when I am bombin' puddles and such.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Yeah Eric I feel the same my mustang owns the road during the summer, I want something that in the winter I can own that 2 feet of snow

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Now think about this........ How is it possible that the hitch hangs lower with a body lift?

The hitch is the same place it always was, the body is raised 3". But yeah, because the body is higher, it has the APPEARANCE that the hitch and all the suspension components, frame, etc. sit lower.

I read the other day on a 4x4/off-road based forum where a guy told another guy not to do a body lift because it would kill his angle of departure due to the hitch being lowered. I was like "huh??? ", so it needs to be clarified that the hitch or any other frame mounted components stay where they always were, the body just goes up.

That's the reason I stopped with 4" of suspension lift. I would have loved to add a 3" body lift and gone to 37" tires, but I have a frame mounted grill guard/winch mount and what the hell do you do with that? I'd have to completely fab/hack the front of the truck to retain them...
Sorry, thats what I meant. It "appears" to hang lower, but it is in the same spot.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by BAdassR/T
Yeah Eric I feel the same my mustang owns the road during the summer, I want something that in the winter I can own that 2 feet of snow
Exactly.

Good luck with your lift. I think I will wait on mine till I get the struts... Might as well just deal with that mess one time. lol

Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 AM
cope4jerd
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have a lot of pics so just take a look at the one in my sig. the body lift was pretty easy to install with the help of a buddy and the tools at the auto hobby shop on base. it took us about a day. i was missing some nuts and bolts in my kit.... nothing major. just some that you need when you cut the radiator support mounts. some redneck egineering with some small tow straps held that in place till i was able to get the right bolts to put it back on. took us a bout the same time....bout 9 hrs... give or take. i highly recomend the PA body lift.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah it's a full day job with a "helper". I've never gotten one done in one day, but always had it about done with just some odds and ends to do the next day.

On a full size truck at least, it's a good 8-10 hour job. I've seen 4x4 shops get 'em done in 5 hours, but that's with two seasoned mechanics working together and having the benefit of a vehicle lift.

Plan for a full day but don't plan on using the truck to go to work early the next morning, just in case you don't get done...

Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

I drive a big box truck for work I hardly drive my truck except for weekends I'm not working. I've got a buddy who all he does is lifts and such on chebys. I'll be fine with that. Any problems with the brake/ ac lines not stretching enough?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Also what the biggest tires you think I can put on 20s with the body lift, right now I have 275-45-20s on it lowered is it possible to go up to a 60 or 65 series?

Quick Reply: 3inch pa lift