3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rack out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Chrysler does know about the rust and they could care less. They are all rusting in the same places before they even leave the factory. My dealers even said they come off the truck rusting. NEVER AGAIN CHRYSLER!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where is this problem with rust exactly?? I don't seem to have this problem.

When my truck was only 1 year old, I did spread some black silicon where that cross support is (between the headlights in front of the radiator) because I noticed some rust bubbles. It seems to have contained the problem though.

Any other spots?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 PM
rapta619
Professional

the edges of my radiator support are rusted to, i put some rust stop crap on it. turned it black, hopefully it stops the rusting for now.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

this is the lower radiator support something you have to look for, the bumper kind of hides it which is the reason i didnt notice it right away. the uppers year the radiator support looks like **** i would bet 95% of these trucks have this rust issue and to the naked eye your not going to notice it until you get yourself under the truck. i found a hole load of spots that are underneath the truck.
on the side note. got alot done today finished up tightening the rack and pinon, finished the steering upgrade for the driver side, and ran some new fluid through the steering system. everything is working great sooooooooo easy to adjust the alignment. when i finally get over to the front end shop they are going to be like holy crap this is easy. i decided i was going to start the upper ball joints what a PITA BTW, what crap dodge put in there, now i know why i kept hearing popping, the dam joint is so loose a gust of wind could go by and it was move. i bought a set of moogs to throw in there 100% better quality then the stupid stock. got to removing the strut and theres where i stopped. could not break the lower nut free. there new rancho shocks that are in there so i dont know why but this thing is so tight. the bolt actually spins in the rubber boot but it would break free. its either i crack the nut and replace it or try some heat. ehh i have all saturday and sunday to screw around and get the daystar in. lift kit is on hold until i have a weekend off with a few buddies im not doing that by myself, would take entirely too long. but other then that once i decide to take picture i sure will post them up .

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM
rengnath
Champion

Idk what it is about the Dakotas, but some have it way worse than others. My truck has 126k on it and has been in WI all its life, and I don't have any serious rust issues. I have zero body rust, light rust on that cross support, and very little on the frame. They don't go light on the salt here in WI either. An impact takes off any bolt I need to when doing work on the suspension or steering.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

I used the 1/2 impact on most of the bolts and this one does not budge may just and up cutting it off.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pics or it didnt happen

Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

Well no pics yet spent alot of time on all of the very rusty bolts man what a pain. Only thing that was good is I out anti seize on all the bolts I put back . Dropped the truck off to get an alignment tomorrow. Felt a whole lot Better driving bumps and all. Only thing that was kinda scary was how off the alignment was. Felt a little swaying taking it to the alignment place. I also got rid of the sway bar. I think that's the whole reason these trucks jump around all over the road. One thing that really p1ssed me off was when putting the 2inch leveling kit in the cv joints slid out. What an as5 kicking that is to put back in. Also if anyone's interested I've got lowering shackles I won't be needing anymore.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM
rapta619
Professional

I just put new stabilizer links in the front, rears are next. But then again I tow alot so I kinda need them.

Quick Reply: rack out.