3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Bad Engine Vibration/Cylinder 6 code as well

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
lawrence260
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Engine Vibration/Cylinder 6 code as well

Dodge 3.7 V6 2007 Model

Engine light comes on, and replace COD's, Plugs, etc. Not long after big engine light is flashing. Vibration starts and gets worse.

Showing C6 is not firing. From what I have researched is the rocker arm could have fallen, but THE ENGINE vibration is very heavy.

Any experiences here?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 3rd Generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Longlivedakota
Rookie

I had a problem like that once. It was right after I had washed the truck. I washed the under-body pretty heavily and doing so I sprayed some parts of the engine. Well water somehow got under the spark plug coils (which are super sensitive to moisture). Well a couple drops of water caused 2 of my 6 cylinders to stop firing. I sprayed some compressed air in them to dry them out and they worked perfectly!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I had a similar experience related to wet coils. I ended up removing all 6 coils, all 6 plugs and baking them in the oven on 200 degrees for about a half hour, until there was no visible moisture. Problem solved!

If you dropped a rocker or some other valvetrain damage, I would imagine the noise would be horrifying. Hard shaking and missing = no spark. Possibly a misfiring injector, but my problem was 100% spark related.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence260
Dodge 3.7 V6 2007 Model

Engine light comes on, and replace COD's, Plugs, etc. Not long after big engine light is flashing. Vibration starts and gets worse.

Showing C6 is not firing. From what I have researched is the rocker arm could have fallen, but THE ENGINE vibration is very heavy.

Any experiences here?
welcome to the forum! How many miles on the truck? What is the code that it is throwing? Never heard of a rocker arm falling off. Back up and start with basics. Good advice so far. Vibration could be completely independant from the CEL. Start with telling us the code you are getting...if that is cylinder 6 misfire, check this thread about a cylinder 6 misfire...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...llllllllp.html

Quick Reply: Bad Engine Vibration/Cylinder 6 code as well