3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3.7L - 6 Speed Ticks and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 5w-20 per the 2007 model year requirements. It's been ticking for over 500 miles now, so if something is wrong it probably wouldn't have made it this far.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
I changed my trans fluid at 75,000. My truck makes the same low rpm noise yours does. But mine has done it since I bought it brand new with 38 test drive miles on it.

A good way to attempt to stop the lifter ticking is to run a can of BG 109 in the old oil for 15 to 20 min., then drain, then fill with new Mobil 1 Synthetic or Valvoline Synthetic, then add a can of BG MOA, and drive. This might help with the lifter ticking significantly, or take it away completely.
I'm going to try this in my truck for the next oil change.
I used to run regular (Dino as you guys call it?) oil, then went to synthetic, and I seemed to develop an engine (valve?) tick.
Then I went back to regular oil, and the tick is either the same or possibly slightly worse.
For my next oil change I'm going to try the BF 109 and the MOA and see if it helps

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
KingsDodges
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
my truck has the engine ticking. drives me crazy. started after I switched to synthetic. Reminds me of my Dad's old 72 chevy truck with the 307, man that thing really ticked. Mines not that bad, I'm wondering if anyone else would even notice it if I did not point it out, but I'm hoping it does not get worse. Seems to be worse on cold start ups. 75,000 miles
Mine does the same thing

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
dodgedakota4.7

The more that you try things to stop it, you have a higher chance of making it worst than fixing it. If you talk to most transmissions shops they don't recommand changing transmission fluid in a truck if it hasn't been change regular or if it has over a 100k. If there is one minor problem with the trans and you change the fluid it will cause the problem to become major. My 05 has a 128k and it has some noise, but when you cut the ac or heat off, cut the radio off it stops a lot of the noise. Then you can tell the other noise is coming from the belt. Sounds like a lifter needs to be slightly adjusted, but its coming from the belt. Knock on wood. Hopefully nothing will happen to your truck and it will keeping running for along time.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
dodgedakota4.7

forgot to add just yesturday I check my fluid and it looked very good. I change a transmission in my hunting truck last year and the fluid looks better in my truck than in the hunting truck. But that truck has hauled some heavy loads were my truck just sits and cruised down the road.

Quick Reply: 3.7L - 6 Speed Ticks and Rattles