3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

steering problem..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problem..

yup, my truck is messed up and it started yesterday morning. I was at the drive thru yesterday morning and realized that when I turned my wheels, at a stop or even a slow speed, I hear what sounds like a humming sound. It is pretty loud and I can hear it from the cab with the radio at a regular volume. It is about 5 degrees right now so I haven't looked at PS fluid or anything yet but there is another problem that I think might be related. My engine makes a buzzing sound that basically sounds like an electric motor and the buzz follows my RPMs while driving. Something tells me that I need a new serpentine belt because it sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine. I will give more details when it warms up a bit and I can actually look under the hood and below the truck. If any of this sounds familiar, don't be shy!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Sounds like a power steering pump. at least check the fluid.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Thanks Kent, I went out and topped off the fluid and then when I started her up turning the wheel no longer made the whining noise. I think its just the cold weather here this weather (below 10 degrees). Winter has been nothing like usual here in Mass and the truck hasn't really taken a hit from the cold until yesterday and today. I took it for a test drive and still no whining. I'll just let it warm up a bit before taking it out this afternoon.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you found the sound. That is not the end of your problem. You need to find out where the old fluid went. My guess is your seal is shot on your rack. You might want to check on that fluid daily for loss of fluid.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

My fluid wasn't even "low" to begin with though. Its just the truck was cold so I dropped an ounce or so in the reservoir so I actually have it overfilled a bit now probably. There is no leak from what I have seen and the issue is only caused by the weather. I think I just overreacted this morning because my truck sounded like s#$* when I turned the wheel in the driveway. I will keep an eye on this problem though because my PS pump may be on its way out. 77,000 miles.. Thanks!

Quick Reply: steering problem..