3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

really cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Sunsetrider
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
But you also have ****ty guns laws liberals and hippies
As a liberal and former hippie I resemble that remark!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

Just took my truck about 5-10 minutes to warm up. Not bad.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
SamuraiDak
Amateur

Oh man, I wish I had heated seats.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Sunsetrider
Rookie

My previous vehicle had a rare feature which far outshone heated seats as a delight: heated steering wheel. It was a 2004 Infiniti I35. That is what I miss the most in all subsequent vehicles. I'm surprised we don't see a proliferation of that feature.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenicX
btw, it's just way too freakin cold up there man! If I were to check the temperature, and the Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same number, (-40) I'd just hibernate 'til it was over.
Sorry about not replying earlier. Just spent the weekend with 12 Scouts, camping. It only went down to -20 (-6F?). Boys and girls slept in Quinzhees (snow mounds hollowed out) leaders slept in Bivies or tents. We were colder than them.

Gave up trying to sleep at 6 AM and got the fire going again. No lost toes or scouts - happy, happy.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
SamuraiDak
Amateur

Originally Posted by northgator8
Just spent the weekend with 12 Scouts, camping. It only went down to -20 (-6F?). Boys and girls slept in Quinzhees (snow mounds hollowed out) leaders slept in Bivies or tents. We were colder than them.
Okay, living where you grew up and where your friends and family are is just what we all do. BUT, sleeping outdoors when it's below freezing AS A CHOICE is just crazy talk! lol

Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SamuraiDak
Okay, living where you grew up and where your friends and family are is just what we all do. BUT, sleeping outdoors when it's below freezing AS A CHOICE is just crazy talk! lol
It's a Scout Troop. It's what we do! (I actually hate camping - in nice weather - but do it because I am a leader and the kids see that if I can do it, so can they!)

This year was "easy". Lots of snow, good down-fall for firewood, nice flat spaces to set up camp. All of our kids made it through the night. Two leaders had to bail and go to the emergency cabin because they were in tents or bivies, not insulating snow huts.

Last year it was -35 over night, not really enough snow to make the Quinzhees. We "lost" about half of the scouts over night to the shelter, but most of those made it to 2 or 3 in the morning before bailing.

Quick Reply: really cold