3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Camper shell. 2nd gen VS 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
suckerpunch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camper shell. 2nd gen VS 3rd gen?

I found a great buy on a shell that fits a 2nd gen Dakota club-cab, I have a 3rd gen club-cab. Will this shell fit both trucks?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Yes, it will fit. I got mine from a 2nd gen. The top rails on our trucks are tapered on the outside edge, so you see a bit more of the top edge at the front end of the bed, and the the top hangs over a 1/2" or so at the rear (you can see in the first pic how the top edge tapers towards the rear) but the inside of the box is square so it fits there perfectly. I would recomend helper springs or something because it will make the a$$ end lower than the front. (these pics were before my leveling kit and helper springs)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0930001647_zps72f09bcc.jpg (92.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg
0930001743_zpsb66d8335.jpg (97.1 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timbren (I think thats what there name is) Makes Bumpstops to also help, But Helper springs, or Add-A-Leaf would also be a worth-wild investment.
We have a F-150 With Timbren Bump stops on it, No helper springs/Add-A-Leafs. It has no/Little body roll with a SpaceCap and Ladder Rack it has on it and fully loaded to hell.

Doesnt ride any worse then the other 7 F150's we have with Light Weight Aluminum Caps (about 1/8 the weight when they are loaded)

Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 AM
2_Salukis

I'll 2nd what jkeaton wrote, but also from a Quad Cab perspective.

My tonneau cover (A.R.E.) transferred over just fine to the 3GEN, but there is the overlap in the rear where the outside of the bed tapers inward. So the seal isn't perfect - I can stick a finger in between the cover and bed. But for free vs. $1000, I can live with it.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
chiralion
Rookie

Agree with jkeaton on this.

I just bought a Leer topper for my 2005 extended cab (6.5' bed) that came off a 2nd gen Dak. Mine fits the same as his where it sticks out a little in the back over the bed rails, but it makes a great seal and the top is level with the cab so I can haul my canoe once I get a rack on there. The fit isn't perfect but $200 on CL for this one vs. over $1200 new, that was an easy decision.

The real kicker though, the topper was painted matte black by the guy I bought it from and it looks good on my navy blue truck, but the spray paint rubbed off in one spot and guess what - the original color of the topper before he painted it perfectly matches my truck.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by chiralion
Agree with jkeaton on this.

I just bought a Leer topper for my 2005 extended cab (6.5' bed) that came off a 2nd gen Dak. Mine fits the same as his where it sticks out a little in the back over the bed rails, but it makes a great seal and the top is level with the cab so I can haul my canoe once I get a rack on there. The fit isn't perfect but $200 on CL for this one vs. over $1200 new, that was an easy decision.

The real kicker though, the topper was painted matte black by the guy I bought it from and it looks good on my navy blue truck, but the spray paint rubbed off in one spot and guess what - the original color of the topper before he painted it perfectly matches my truck.
haha!! I'll trade you...mine is the "other" blue color...not the bad a$$ best top of the line color patriot blue like our trucks....

Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
silverbullit
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
haha!! I'll trade you...mine is the "other" blue color...not the bad a$$ best top of the line color patriot blue like our trucks....

Heres you a patriot blue camper shell if you want to drive to Texas. It's my Dakota, or was I guess I should say! http://www.holtchryslerjeepdodge.net/used/Dodge/2006-Dodge-Dakota-c8cfdd9a0a0d048d00e6df19eb37afe1.htm

Quick Reply: Camper shell. 2nd gen VS 3rd gen?