3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Tonno Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Drakkon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tonno Cover

Got me the Extang Trifecta Cover for my Dodge and put it on today, took all of 5 mins to figure out since I'm a guy that don't like to read instruction manuals. But heck, the thing works great, took it out on the highway and got my baby up to 90+ and it staryed on without ery much flapping or any sounds whatsoever.
This is the model which folds into thirds. There are two clamps at the back that are screw down which hold the thing on, then two more springloaded towards the tailgate whcih allow for easy folding and removal if necessary. Also has two clips if you want to leave it as 1/3 on and tie it down. DEfinately easy to install, looks nice and doesn't bow too much. Feels really strong and after wipping it with a good coat of tonno tonic looks nice and shiney.
Purchased from AutoAnything whcih has a $25 off $300 coupon out there or soemthing like that...so total cost with shipping was $391.00...shipped it within a week after ordering from somewhere in Michigan....packaging was great, especially for such a large item (total wight on box was recorded to be 35 pds) one very satisfied customer

[IMG]local://upfiles/17470/E570E719496D4FF6BAFECFD49697E3BF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17470/F43962BF7662486CAB93D61F3B01AE6C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17470/A0F36EFB70E1495CA5D32BBBBDABF975.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2005, 04:26 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Default RE: New Tonno Cover

I would have went with a hard cover, but it looks great!

-Matt-

Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM
agentbook

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

I would have went with a hard cover, but it looks great!

-Matt-
I have yet to see a hard cover for the 05's yet. Unless I am looking in the wrong places, all I ever find is the soft ones, and for a lot cheaper than what he paid on ebay.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Drakkon
Professional

I couldn't go with a hardtop cause I actually use my bed and to have something that just raises up at an angle wouldn't have been too great, this actually folds back, so actually able to get stuff in there without fully removing it, while still being able to get long/tall things in there. Here is a pic of what it kinda works like : http://www.extang.com/docs/trifecta.html
The ones on ebay are crap frankly, ones made by extang or lund will actually last you a while so long as you take proper care of them, so i think mine was worth every penny :P

You can find hardtops at any dodge/mopar parts store (like dealership where you bought truck, at least mine has them availible for order). They cost a ton more of course but if you are looking for that sort of thing its availible:
http://moparsupercenter.com/Products...566_31760.html

Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
kf4hqf

Looks good Drakkon! I am looking into the Lund Tri-Fold myself. Like you, I want to maintain usability of the bed without a lot of effort to remove a hard cover. Was there a particular reason you chose the Extang over the Lund? Just curious.

Link to the Lund (if interested)

Old 08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Drakkon
Professional

i had heard from a person on another forum that the lund had issues with leaking, wasn't with a dakota, but with a ford i believe. and ive never heard any complaints about an extang

Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Clarkbar

I have the lund that folds into 3 sections...no leaks....I paid about $300 locally at a shop..I like it.

Quick Reply: New Tonno Cover