3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
JayDubDak05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions...

Hey guys and gals,
I just have a few questions and want your take on it.
I want more compression and I have the standard 4.7. I installed H/O cams and a cat back system. I'm thinking of next getting CAI and a superchips ordered. After that I was thinking, what if I milled my heads? and how much would I be able to?
I've used the search option, but every link I click on becuse of this crap internet here keeps giving me the good old HTTP 500 error.
Now, would it be better to just get h/c pistons instead of milling? I'm no new comer to engines so it won't break my heart or scare me if you tell me I should pull the engine and go with the pistons...and while the heads are off they'll be taken to a shop anyway to be worked on...so thought why not just get two birds with one stone?
My overall plan in the end is to max about 350 reliable daily driver horses and however much torque I can but staying N/A...so anywhere from 300-350 is pretty much good enough for me.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

300 may be attainable. 350 may be pushing it a bit.

If you want that much HP/torque, you could look at doing an engine swap with a 08+ 4.7L V8. Those guys have just a touch over 300 HP at the crank from the factory. Won't necessarily be easy or cheap, but if you are possibly pulling the engine anyway...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

forced induction?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
JayDubDak05

I never thought about the 08+ engine...I just want to tear mine apart and make it a beast, that way I can just be like, "Yeah, I did that."
I thought about forced plenty a time, however it would probably be more beneficial if I had a H/O engine, but that's just my opinion. I'm not looking for anything too serious or crazy, and even if 300hp is difficult to get, I'm fine with whatever, I just want to do something with that engine but keep it natural.
That is...unless I can find a setup I can afford for going forced, because I cannot weld or do any fabrication...I know and understand the concept fairly well, just never could practice.

Quick Reply: Opinions...