3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

check engine light running rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Red3G06Fwd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light running rough

went on a long trip over the weekend, and on the way home i had a check engine light come on and the trucks rpms would jump up and down with cruise control on, when id slow down between 45-55 if felt like a hard down shift jarring the truck. about 20 miles from home i stopped to the store to fuel up started the truck the check light was off and seemed to be running fine but when i got up to speed to put cruise control on it wouldnt work. and now this morning i leave for work the light comes back on and cruise control started working again and it started running rough again any help or ideas? thanks in advance

Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

You try going to an auto parts store that will pull the codes for free? Autozone will do it... I'd bet it's still holding in the computer since you haven't reset it.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Have it checked for codes. Thats the only way to really troubleshoot it. We could all give yuou ideas but pulling the codes is the best way to find out whats wrong.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Red3G06Fwd
went on a long trip over the weekend, and on the way home i had a check engine light come on and the trucks rpms would jump up and down with cruise control on, when id slow down between 45-55 if felt like a hard down shift jarring the truck. about 20 miles from home i stopped to the store to fuel up started the truck the check light was off and seemed to be running fine but when i got up to speed to put cruise control on it wouldnt work. and now this morning i leave for work the light comes back on and cruise control started working again and it started running rough again any help or ideas? thanks in advance

Red,

I agree about getting the code(s). Also, what year and motor do you have?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Red3G06Fwd

Sorry took so long to respond my email wasnt showing up right away. But I wa looking around the motor and noticed the previous owner had zip tied the tps sensor wires to I'm assuming was the aluminum ac line and I guess over time it caused the sensor to actually crack where the wires plug in at. So problem solved. Thanks for help and advice

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Red3G06Fwd

the trucks running fine now but cruise still doesnt work

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may have to disconnect the neg battery terminal for a few, then reinstall cable, if that doesnt work, check the fuses, you may have blown one

Quick Reply: check engine light running rough