3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

changing rear diff gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 AM
kjpark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing rear diff gear oil

Hey guys i was just looking around town for gear oil and i must not be searching good. Only i saw that had 75w-140 was autozone. it was 19.99 per bottle of 1qt valvoline(which i would rather buy rp for the same), last time i checked we need 2.25 in the rear..so thats kinda expensive considering motor oil is only $20 5.25 qt. I may resort to online, but couldn't really find others either.

-Is that type just expensive? b/c my last truck didn't use it and it seems like a chrysler thing to me. Cheapest i saw online at amazon was $14 for lucas, but i don't really like lucas unless someone has it and can convince me otherwise.

-Do you guys think i should just get the full synth gear oil for $20 a bottle and buy 2 bottles instead of 3? i figure 2qt is as good as 2.25, and i could throw in some lsd additive.

-also i think walmart had their own brand supertech gear oil but i wasn't sure about using it. Dunno if i would use it, even though oil is just oil.

so if i can get away with 2 bottles ill do the valvoline, if not ill prob go with lucas :
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by kjpark; 10-28-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
JimBio
Professional

I have been using the synthetic supertech differential oil for years in all my trucks. Its cheap and works great. Just get the additive at your autoparts store.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
kjpark
Professional

Originally Posted by JimBio
I have been using the synthetic supertech differential oil for years in all my trucks. Its cheap and works great. Just get the additive at your autoparts store.
sounds good, i definitely like the cheap price. Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: changing rear diff gear oil