3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dodge CEL with Low Temp Reading

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
jjjefferson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge CEL with Low Temp Reading

Soooo... I got a little lazy and while the 2006 4.7L Dakota was in for a Tranny Service...I had them flush and fill the Coolant. The original collant had 112K miles on it so I figured I'd get it done rather than do it myself.

A week goes by and all seems well...then this morning I fire up the truck to go to work. It s in the 30's when I leave at 0500. About 3 miles down the highway the Check Engine Light BINGS. I look at the guages and notice that the Coolant Temp guage is down to just over WARM...and the heater isn't blowing as hot as normal. I pull off at the next exit and look the engine over...no leaks...and the top hose is warm.

I decide to drive back home and take the 2000 Durango into work. On the way home....the heater heats to normal hot...but the guage does not budge. I get home...check the engine again...the top hose is hot...bottom hose is cold and the radiator isn't very warm at all.

I am thinking the T-Stat is stuck closed....but why the heater blows hot and the Temp Guage shows LOW is confusing me. Anyone one else have a similar issue? What was the problem.

Thanks.

JJ

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you get home, remove the radiator cap and start truck, you could very well have air still in the system, let it work its way out, then check the level again, you may have to add fluid

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM
jjjefferson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Got the code on it...

Thanks superdak05 will try that.... of course the question is....shouldn't they have done that at the dealership? I called them but they sure weren't to suggestive as to what could be causing it.

I had the wife pull the code on it (funny side story there) and its throwing a P0128.

will post update this pm.

JJ

Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the thermostat would be stuck open rather than stuck closed.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge CEL with Low Temp Reading