3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sloppy steering shaft. Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
RthrDent
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy steering shaft. Dangerous?

Hi everyone,
I have the sloppy steering issue so common on these trucks. I haven't had it fixed because I have a company truck and my Dak just sits most of the time. Problem is I now need to drive it almost 2000 miles and don't have time to get it fixed before I go. My problem seems to be the slip joint rather than the U-joints since I only have the wheel play and not the binding. Question is, think I can get away with this trip? Opinions? Do these things ever fail completely? Thanks. Complete loss of steering at Interstate speed would be unpleasant.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a binding issue originally, once greased it went away, but I now have about 1/2 inch play each way.
I heard someone post before saying, tightening a bolt on the shaft, under the dash fixed their issue. I have not tried it myself.

We replaced the shaft in the 2000 Dakota I used to drive, and it went away.

Ive been driving for over 10,000km with mine like it is in my 2005, and Ive had it bind 2 times, the original time and slightly a few months back, but greasing fixed the bind.

I seen a thing (not on here) saying to weld it, So it cant move. But I assume Telescopic/Adjustible steering shafts require it, to move in and out. I dont have that, or any adjustments in mine anyways haha.

Ive heard one story of it Failing in a 2003 Durango at Interstate speeds, No accident but not fun. If you think its just the Slip Joint, you should be able to tell its going, as it would get progressively more play, Where as the U-Joints can just break apart.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to figure out exactly where the "slop" in your steering is coming from before you can really determine how safe it is to drive. The inspection process is a 2 person job with good communications as well as understanding of the whole steering system. To me, the steering, brakes, and rubber are very important on a vehicle - I make sure that I keep all of these in good shape to save my skin as well as that of anyone else around me.

Most steering issues require parts to be replaced - steering u-joints and slip shaft issues usually require the whole new intermediate shaft if you want to maintain your insurance and be road worthy.

Quick Reply: Sloppy steering shaft. Dangerous?