3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front Driveshaft, CV Joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve30
I spent all day under the truck yesterday. Wasn't too bad. Except those bolts at the u joint end gave me a hard time. My ingersoll rand impact wrench had difficulty spinning them off initially. Rusted and covered in blue thread locker. Spent a while trying to put the new driveshaft in and no dice. Napa gave me the wrong one. Too long. Apparently, it's for a 5 speed auto. So I'm giving it another go today. Also, anybody have a technique down for clearing the exhaust pipe? Do I need to put it in in 2 pieces?That's how I got the old one out. Just hoping to streamline the process a bit. Thanks
I can't be much help here, seeing as I did all this with the down pipes and cats out. I would try 2 pieces but most likely it'll have to go in as one whole. You should be able to slide it forward towards the front diff and have a little play where the yoke on the u-joint slide into the drive shaft itself. From there, muscle the CV joint into place. Getting the holes lined up should be fairly simple from there.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Neil Hall
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just completed this project I found it was the best to move the drive shaft up at the transfer case end. Then slide it out over the top of the transfer case. Its the only real way to get it out.

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft, CV Joint