3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking at regearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll need two Master Install kits as well. Do not get a minor or standard install kit, you will need a Master. They typically run $100-$200 per axle.

LSDs have gone up since I bought mine. A few years ago when I had a 2001 Ram 1500 (same rear end as V8 Dakotas), I bought a Auburn LSD for $350 or so. I see they are up to almost $500 most places now. Its still sitting in my garage, waiting for the install (I am not going to regear myself, just have the LSD put in someday).

A good set of gears will cost you at least $200 per axle. Do not go cheap on gears, cheap = noisy and more potential issues. Do lots of searches on brands of gears, see which ones get the best reviews. Thats $400 minimum, probably more. A single Auburn LSD for the rear will cost you $450-$500. Thats $900 minimum. Add two master install kits that have the bearings and other items you need. Thats $1200.

Add labor for the rear axle, which two years ago when I last checked, was about $400. The front axle will be more, as it requires more things to be moved out of the way to get to it. On a 2001 Ram 1500, it was around $600. Not sure what it'll be on a Dakota, but I bet it'll be similar. And you cannot do the work yourself unless you have been trained to do it, putting gears in correctly means having a very specific set of tools. Just throwing them in there will not let them mesh correctly and make things seize, break apart, or blow up later down the road.

You are looking at $2200 easy, probably more. I almost pulled the trigger on it with my 2001 Ram, hence why I have all these numbers already.

Last edited by jasonw; 04-20-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for that price, I might be better off just trading in my Dakota for a fullsize Dodge, Ford, or Chevy that has a LSD and a lower gearing. My payment would be the same or less, too. Dang, this got real expensive real fast.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also consider that an LSD does not help "that" much with loss of traction with one tire. Most off-road guys would tell you that a LSD is good for two things: getting stupid numb/ruining your life and traction on wet pavement. If you have an open diff and want something cheap, roll with a Richmond Powertrax locker. If one were taking out the open carrier and replacing the whole differential, get a Detroit locker. They both operate the same way, but the Detroit does not test the strength limits of the open carrier. However, unless you decide to run a Hemi or built 4BT + 37" tires, a lunchbox locker will be just fine for you.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna save a little and trade up for a bigger truck.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the full swap in 2005 and it cost 1600., This is what the gear shop did to my 2005 dakota, front rebuild $903(gears,brg kit axle seals,r and r the front axle,oil,labor and tax)i assume it has ifs in the front. rear axle $761(gears brg kit axle seals,oil tax and labor.

Quick Reply: Looking at regearing