3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Out with the old in with the new! (exhaust help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out with the old in with the new! (exhaust help)

Hello again everyone. I'm back with yet another problem I am faced with when trying to make my truck better. I have purchased a MBRP dual exhaust kit and finally got it on Friday. It has rained all weekend and yesterday I was able to get under there and spray all the bolts on the stock exhaust. I went under there a little later and of course not one bolt wants to budge. I can hack saw most of it off but when it comes to the y pipe, I can't even get to the bolt seeing how its facing upward and I don't know if I should try a hacksaw because I don't wanna damage the pipe from the y, only cut the clamp holding it all together. Anyone suggest anything? Or should I bring it to a shop to quickly put it together for me and for how much is reasonable?

Thank in advance.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel to remove unwanted bolts, brackets, pipes, etc. For the amount of time an average person uses one, even a cheaper brand will last a really long time and they can be used for a lot of things, from sharpening your garden tools to cutting sheet metal. Just watch how you use the grinder, they can jump back at you if you aren't careful.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

Hmmm you may be be on to something there! I dread saying it but I'll check harbor freight then home depot. Lol and make my choice accordingly. lol

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

Also what's a safe way to use them when going under a vehicle. I don't have a lift available and it gets tight when I'm under there and don't want sparks flying I to my face. Lol

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombifyd
Also what's a safe way to use them when going under a vehicle. I don't have a lift available and it gets tight when I'm under there and don't want sparks flying I to my face. Lol
An angle grinder is a great tool & I don't want to scare you away from one, but you need to be aware of the damage it can cause you. Do a few practice cuts first on stuff that you're over top of & not underneath. If you've never used an angle grinder before, and will be in reasonably close proximity to it underneath the truck, I'd suggest a face mask, otherwise, a set of goggles (not safety glasses, they only protect from things flying in a direct line at your eye - I've had steel hit my eye from under the lens & it's not only painful, but constitutes a need for an emerg visit to pull out the steel). When you use the grinder, don't push it, let it go at a "natural" pace, and don't twist it or the blade will "blow up" or jump back at you (keep a good hold of it with both hands) & keep it away from your face.

A safer tool that will also work on your exhaust system is a "sawz-all", again, these aren't overly expensive and are a good addition to your tool box. Unlike the grinder, this isn't really good for hardened bolts, but for exhaust, the sawz-all with a short metal cutting blade is probably what you want.

Quick Reply: Out with the old in with the new! (exhaust help)