3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2008 Dodge Dakota SXT 2WD Ext Cab - Gas Mileage Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
I have no idea what mileage I get. I fill the tank at a quarter, drive 'til it is at a quarter again and fill it again.

And I try to go without air conditioning - my experience is that MoPaR a/c units draw heavy on the fuel.

I keep it tuned and clean, but short of snake-oil, there is not much I can do to change the mileage - I bought a truck with a V8 - I can pass anything but a gas station.
Not a bad philosophy at all. I have an uncle that does the same. He says he doesn't even look at the price of gas either, or bother to even be interested. He says its fuel, you need it, not like you can go without it. Of course, he drives nothing but 2500 GMCs with the 6.0+ L V8s, so fuel isn't really a concern of his.

A/C tends to drain only 1 MPG from my gas mileage.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I noticed a 1-2 mpg difference between using the A/C and just keeping the windows down. I actually averaged 14.2 with the windows down, and something like 12.9 with the windows up and A/C blowing.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Not a bad philosophy at all. I have an uncle that does the same. He says he doesn't even look at the price of gas either, or bother to even be interested. He says its fuel, you need it, not like you can go without it. Of course, he drives nothing but 2500 GMCs with the 6.0+ L V8s, so fuel isn't really a concern of his.

A/C tends to drain only 1 MPG from my gas mileage.
When I turn on my A/C, I can watch the guage move . . . .

Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadsquiggles
Yeah, I noticed a 1-2 mpg difference between using the A/C and just keeping the windows down. I actually averaged 14.2 with the windows down, and something like 12.9 with the windows up and A/C blowing.
The windows down trick only helps MPGs better than A/C below or around in town speeds. I believe it was 45 MPH or a little higher is where the cut-off is. Above that, the excess drag caused by the windows being down is actually worse than the A/C.

Personally, I am willing to pay a few extra dollars at the pump for more comfort in my cab. However, that is just me, to each their own.

Originally Posted by northgator8
When I turn on my A/C, I can watch the guage move . . . .
I hope you are kidding, otherwise I think you have your fuel line hooked up to the A/C compressor...

Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
keithhud
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire size made a difference for me. I went to what I thought was a more Hi-way friendly AT tire 265/70/16 instead of the Offroad Mud tire 255/70/16 and I lost a couple of MPG.

I know it sounds crazy, but I went from getting 19-20 MPG to 17-18 MPG Freeway driving, but around town it stayed about the same 14-15 MPG.

For the record I use my A/C almost all the time except in the Winter.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Dakota SXT 2WD Ext Cab - Gas Mileage Issues